Jojo, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Does anyone recommend one Home Warranty Company over another or are they all pretty much the same in the Santa Monica/Venice area?

Asked by Jojo, Los Angeles, CA Thu Dec 29, 2011

Answers

8
Jojo:

All the big Home Warranty companies are insured and bonded, and only use licensed, insured, & bonded contractors. The two biggest differences are (1) What is covered? and (2) What is the service fee?

Recently, I had a buyer who was purchasing a condo with radiant heat in the ceiling (also referred to as cable heating). Only one of the big 4 covers this type of heating. Reading the sample contract was the key to discovering this issue. Make sure, if the property you are buying has any unusual features, that all systems in your new home will be covered by the Home Warranty. Also, if the home is not new construction, is in your best interest to upgrade from the standard policy to allow for code upgrades and permitting costs, that are only covered in the upgraded policies.

You realtor estate professional should be able to guide you in making this decision. Good luck on your new home and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
myrealestateanswers@gmail.com
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
Yes, AHS American Home Shield. Contact online http://www.ahs.com. Phone : 1-800-735-4663. Ask for Mellisa Gillmer. Tell her that Stephanie Landry from Keller Williams Brentwood referred you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 17, 2012
Hi Jojo,
IMO, the large major ones are pretty much the same. I would recommend going with the one your broker has a good relationship with. That way if there is an issue, the broker can apply some pressure for you.
Good luck and Happy New Year
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 29, 2011
Hi Jojo

I was going to recommend Melissa Gillmer at AHS as well.

Mimi
Web Reference: http://MimiDaviesHomes.com
Our clients have great luck with Old Republic Home Warranty.
I have had good luck with Globe Home Warranty and they are about the lowest cost of all.
The thing to remember about HWC's is what do they cover? check the policy closely. Are you living in a house or a condo? A condo's HOA should cover the exterior problems, such as pool, spa etc. If you live in a house pool, spa coverage is extra. You want to be covered on the intereior problems. ie" plumbing but if you have a backed up toilet or sink the $50 service call may seem like a good deal but when the plumber gets there they will always be "upselling." He or she will tell you that in order to fix the problem they have to remove the toilet and that's not covered and they will alwyas say that they have to snake the line from the exterior trap...meaning a cost of probably $700 or more. Heating and elecrical can be a different story. I have had a problem with my heater and they came out found a bad circuit and fixed everything for the service charge, a very good deal. Check the coverage and ask your agent if they have ever had problems with the HW company. Ask for references. Good Luck
Jojo,

I recommend American Home Shield. They have great service and great rates. Their number is 1 (866) 406-0440. Hope this helps. Have a fun and safe New Year!

Michael Nava
Rodeo Realty
323.371.0405
michaelnava@rodeore.com