Home Insurance in Brooklyn>Question Details

Kem, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, OH

Can anyone please recommend a good home insurance company for a condo ? thanks

Asked by Kem, Brooklyn, OH Fri May 16, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


I have been Chairperson of the Board of Directors in a very large condominium complex in a city north of Boston for the past 20 years. I am also a Realtor that specializes in condominium sales. The most important thing to know is that every condo owner needs to have a home owner’s insurance policy, even though the association maintains a common area policy. Though most of the major Insurance Carriers are fine, you should seriously consider purchasing a policy from the same insurance agent and carrier that your condo association uses to cover the common area. There are two reasons. First, the agent or carrier will verify that there is no “gap” between your policy and that of the master policy. Second, when there is a claim within a condominium, particularly a large claim, the vast majority of problems arises when one insurance company attempts to put the responsibility of the claim onto the other insurance company. If your individual condominium unit is insured with the same company as the master insurance policy, then you should completely avoid this scenario and the claim is typically resolved quickly. Do not wait until you have a claim to do the research. It never fails to amaze me when we have a major claim, and the home owner had never purchased a home owners policy. We have a $10,000 per unit/ per claim deductible. Meaning, each unit owner needs to have a policy with a minimum amount of $10,000 before the master policy is activated. If the home owner failed to take out a policy, they are required to dig deep into their own pocket for the funds. Good luck and let me know what you decide. Dave
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2008

Also make sure to get a quote from whomever you have your car insurance with. There is normally a discount for both the car and condo if you have both with the same company. I agree that the major players are the way to go, the newer discount companys...well....you get what you pay for. I hope that helps.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2008
State Farm has the best coverage, I sold insurance for them in the past. Be sure to check with your homeowners association to find out if they cover the exterior and you're responsible for drywall in, or if they do not cover anything on your home. I live in a condo and I have homeowners insurance because my association does not cover the exterior.
By the way, Pam-- it's Hartford.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008

Try checking with the majors.....Allstate, State Farm, Farmers and The Hardford.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 16, 2008
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
I have found farmers Insurance in northern ca. area them best.
Web Reference: http://www.leesellsmore.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 4, 2009
State Farm has the best rates....I recently purchased State Farm for my condo...their rate was $100 cheaper than Geico, Allstate, Liberty Mutual - they also give you a discounted rate if you have a security alarm system and/or auto insurance with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 4, 2009
We represent multiple carriers that write condo insurance. We like to say "One call quotes them all" because we will shop them for you and give you choices. We are an insurance agency, not a lead generator for other agents so you will not be hounded by 10 or more agents. Call us or visit our website. 888-GET-GLIGA or http://www.getgliga.com
Web Reference: http://www.getgliga.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 4, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer