Art, Home Buyer in 11550

27yr Female w/o anyone to give me advice regarding home buying. I'm a First Time Home Buyer.Interested in buying a home from "Sell by

Asked by Art, 11550 Sun Apr 11, 2010

Owner". I have no clue were to begin.I don't have a realtor. What are the steps in buying this home? I'm afraid to bring a realtor in on this deal in fear of him/her trying to get the Seller to become their client instead.Where do I begin? I don't want to lose this house.

Answers

9
You need a real estate lawyer to protect you in the contracts.

You need an appraisal (in your agreement) contingency to make sure you do not overpay.

You really want a house inspection. You do not want to buy a house that needs $34k of repairs not knowing it.

You need to have a title search done and buy title insurance. Compared to the risk of not owning the house you just paid for it is cheap.

Get a CLUE report. It is an insurance report showing the past claims on a property. If it has a bad history you could pay excessive amounts of insurance premiums.

Below is an important blog to read. I had no idea this even mattered before I saw it.
http://www.trulia.com/blog/tom_sommers/2009/12/why_a_marked_…
A basic overview of the normal home buying process
http://www.trulia.com/blog/dan_chase/2010/01/its_your_first_…
Questions I would ask when buying any property. It can save you some very annoying problems if you do the research first.
http://www.trulia.com/blog/dan_chase/2009/11/questions_i_wou…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 11, 2010
great info dan
Flag Fri Aug 3, 2012
I would not worry about a realtor trying to make a FSBO seller their client. Truthfully, if that happened it would not cost you anything just the seller. I am a FSBO seller and I have had a lot of showings lately and not one realtor has tried to persuade me to sign with them.

Your first step is to get pre-qualified or pre-approved for your mortgage. Look at homes on this site and owners.com to get comparable data on homes for sale and those that have sold (Trulia has this). If your county or town lists their tax parcel information online, you can also look up homes in the neighborhood and what they sold for as well as when they last sold.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 11, 2010
you can always interview different realtors. there are some tips & questions you can ask before you work with them please see link below - also most realtors will not represent the buyer and the seller. so what may happen is that they may get a friend to represent the seller and then execute the sale like that.

always as questions :)
Art,
Call me and I can walk you through the process. I am an experienced certified buyer's agent and can work on your behalf putting your interests first when purchasing a property.

Lynn Pisani
Lic. Associate Broker
Prudential Douglas Elliman RE
516-547-1356
http://www.lynnpisani.listingbook.com
Art, one more thing, in 2 weeks there is going to be an all day homebuyer seminar in Farmingdale that is free to the public. I have a blog posted about it. You can get a lot of information there that might be useful.
Art
In what could well be one of your most important tranactions: that you might
make in your life. To get a "Buyers agent" to work for you is a must.
Hi Art,

Another option is to hire a REALTOR who represents YOU as their client in the purchasing process. This REALTOR would be a Certified Buyer Representative (CBR) and is commonly known as a Buyer's Broker or Buyer's Agent. This agent would let you know what comparable homes in the neighborhood have sold for, would negotiate on your behalf with the goal of your obtaining the home for the least amount of money possible, would counsel you and be with you each step of the way from offer to closing.

If you would like additional information on hiring a Buyer's Agent, please contact me by phone directly at (516)410-3594 or by email at Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com.

In the meantime, please visit http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com where you will find FREE Buyer Reports, FREE School and Neighborhood Information, the Monthly Newsletter and other valuable real estate information.

Arlynn

Arlynn B. Palmer, ESQ, SRES, CBR, CMS, CNS
Associate Broker, REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Claire Sobel
(516)410-3594
Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com
Web Reference: http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com
Visit with any qualified loan officer(s) first, see exactly what your budget can handle, and check your credit score--if you do qualify for a loan, ask for a mortgage pre-qualification/approval letter, you will need it. An agent can help you to determine a fair offer based on recently sold similar properties in the immediate area--if you choose to do that research on your own be careful with some internet information, keep in mind that not all data may be accurate; you can however, also check MLSLI.com under closed properties for the specific area. Do make sure a home inspection is done before signing any paperwork--your attorney can handle all the legal paperwork. Keep in mind that not all agents are looking to convert for sale by owner properties--some sellers should do it on their own if they have the time to handle all that is involved.
You do not have to bring in a realtor, but you do need to find out what it will take to buy this home, and if you would be able to get a mortgage on it. In NY, all contracts are done through lawyers. The seller's attorney will prepare the contract, and you will have your lawyer review it before it is signed. If you want anything like a seller's concession, you will have to have that written into the contract.
I know that my profile says CT, but I am from LI and actually live very close to Hempstead. Contact me through my profile and I will give you as much guidance as I can.