Home Buying in Wythe>Question Details

Jamesbroussa…, Home Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

wythe nighborhood is it really that bad?

Asked by Jamesbroussard21, Fort Lauderdale, FL Wed Mar 20, 2013

Its just most of the houses look amazing to me. I guess my question is would i have to be looking over my shoulder when i'm taking the trash out? Or anyone other crazy disturbances i should know about?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3007864400-139-Lasalle-Ave-Ha…

Answers

10
If you go to the City of Hampton Website and do a property search (http://webgis.hampton.gov/sites/ParcelViewer/Account/Logon), they give crime statistics for the neighborhood you search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 10, 2013
This is a late response but I felt compelled to submit. I worked in community organizing in that neighborhood for many years. It is generally a nice area--it has some spots with some issues, one in particular is where the Hampton and Newport News city lines meet. Something to remember is almost every neighborhood goes through life cycles. Wythe is a older neighborhood as are many neighborhoods in Hampton... things eb & flow. Wythe has a strong community organization of residents that truly care about their community and are committed to making it better. Also, remember that crime travels. Sometimes people think that if they live in certain neighborhood crime will never come their way-that is simply no true.

If you ever has questions about crime stats in particular you can always call the local police department and request crime stats.
check out my website at http://www.757militaryrealestate.com which does have a free mobile app I believe this site can really provide you with some helpful info
Wythe is a lovely neighborhood. I feel very safe and I live on East Avenue. There are few crimes, no more than in any other neighborhood. On any given day you see children playing, riding bikes, people walking their dogs, running, doing yard work. We have lived in the neighborhood in different houses for 20 years and we still love it!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
James,
It's a big decision to choose any neighborhood when you live in another state. But, it's done all the time. If you find the homes to "look amazing", then apparently there is something about the Wythe area that particularly appeals to you. I am working with a family now who currently reside in Florida who found an amazing house in Wythe that they have contracted to purchase. They had the same concerns as you mostly about potential crime. They did their due diligence on the area, neighborhood, schools, and decided it is the place for them. They are buying a gorgeous restored Victorian home on 3/4 acre lot a couple blocks from Chesapeake Bay. They are as EXCITED as they can be.

If you woul like my help on this, call me at 757-871-1749 or email WandaStevens@REMAX.net.
When we first lived in Wyeth, some of the neighborhood was rough and noisy. While staying there myself and working on our house, I did not notice any negative attitudes of people traversing the area or noise that occurred overnight. I'm happy to report that the Victoria to Chesapeake neighborhoods near the Newport News line have neighbors who look out for neighbors and a local police presence who look out for the neighborhood.
There are many sites you can google to find local information to help you decide if it is an area you want to live in. you can also go sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/ to see where sex offenders are in proximity to where you are searching
Here is the Hampton Va Police Department Website: http://www.hampton.gov/police/index.html.
Look under News/PIO and it will give you crime statistics, etc. While an agent cannot say whether a neighborhood is good or bad; the good thing is that you can look this information up and determine for yourself if you would feel comfortable in a neighborhood you are looking to purchase a home.
Everyone has a different opinion on neighborhoods. I always advise clients to drive the neighborhood during different hours and different days to get a feel for the neighborhood they are interested in for themselves. You can also contact the local police department to get more in depth information on anything that may be of concern for you. I would be more than happy to assist you in your home search, simply contact me.

Best Regards;
Anthony Alleva, CSSA
Certified Short Sale Agent
REO REALTOR®
Allison James Estates & Homes
VA Real Estate License #0225-205922
Toll Free (800) 215-0211
Email: info@anthonyalleva.com
Website: http://www.AnthonyAlleva.com
You usually only hear the bad news about any neighborhood. I suggest you contact the Hampton Police Dept. and ask them about the crime statistics for the Wythe area. Then you can make a decision based on true valid information.
Over the last few years I have sold several homes in Wythe and all of my clients express their joy of living there and have thanked me for helping them find the community.
If you would like to take a look at this home please contact me to set up a meeting day and time.

John