Home Buying in Oceanfront>Question Details

Michael Levin, Home Buyer in Philadelphia County,...

would a four unit building that was occupied by the owner qualify for "homesteading" ?

Asked by Michael Levin, Philadelphia County, PA Sat Mar 27, 2010

Answers

2
Hi Michael

That is a great question and I think Wenceslao gave a great answer. Additionally, you may wish to double check with a real estate attorney. I can recommend Alfredo Garcia Menocal who has an office next to my office and also owns a title company - 305.863.1000

or, my father, who is also a real estate attorney (in Sebring, FL) 863-385-5188.

Audra
My understanding is that Real Estate of four units and under qualify. 5 units and larger are considered commercial and would not qualify. For more information, follow this link to the Property Appraiser's office page explaining how to apply, etc.

http://www.miamidade.gov/pa/exemptions_homestead.asp

You will note however that the application form does not ask what type of property are you buying (although they would know by the folio number).

All the best...