Kherz,  in 03865

worked for a team at a real estate office. have pending commissions but was asked to resign. am i still entitled to get paid?

Asked by Kherz, 03865 Mon May 30, 2011

Agent (team leader) has verbally agreed to pay my commissions as long as I remain confidential about his work practices & have no contact with any past or present clients. Have 4 pending commissions, one this week, one the end of June, and 2 are short sales. I represented buyer for 2 of the sales, was the showing agent for one (but not my listing or my buyer), and did the work for a listing that I co-listed the short sale.

Answers

13
The number ONE rule you should have learned in pre-license school is ALWAYS get it in writing.
Will you get paid? Depends on the State, R.E. rules and regs, your broker and the honesty of your team mates.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
it depends on your contract with the brokerage. Get it out, read it carefully and talk with the broker. If necessary, get an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 30, 2011
We are opening a new office in Andover MA and if you have not found a landing spot feel free to contact me. Thanks, Deb
You should be paid for all transactions in your name that have agreements with the Buyer or Seller.
It's really important when choosing a firm to work for, feel free to contact me to
Earn about the opportunities with our firm in the Andover market.
We are opening a new office in the luxury market of Andover MA. Feel free to contact me if you have not found a happy landing spot. Thanks, Deb
Verbal agreements are often not enforceable. Did you sign a independant contractor agreement before starting? that would outline what happens tio your commissions. If not you need to get it in writing.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Your license is held by the brokerage. Your contract should be with the brokerage and if the team does not include the broker, you should maybe have a second contract with your team. It should outline what you get if you leave this office. In the lack of a contract, your broker should pay you fyour commission less any cost of someone else to finsih the deal and bring it to closing. Bottomline is hopfully you have a contract, if not you may want to meet with an attorney as well. good luck
I was on several different teams over the years. Make sure your broker is aware of this "verbal" agreement. Do you have a contract that you and the team leader signed? If not I would draft up a small contract stating he will pay you on these remaining deals. Good Luck!
wasn't negligent behavior. just a difference of opinion. nothing in writing for the team. just w/ the broker.
In addition to the contract with your brokerage, you may need to see what kind of contract you have with your team lead. I am sure your team will continue to close the deals with your broker, so it becomes a question of what deal you had with the team.

Chances are it will also depend on why you were asked to resign as well. If things were just not working out is often treated differently than negligent behavior.
You should ask your broker you should get paid.
Kherz,
I wold contact the managing broker of the office and relay all of this information. You should be paid.