ajs1style, Renter in 70115

wondering about rights as a renter when my owner is starting to sell

Asked by ajs1style, 70115 Thu Oct 17, 2013

am renting and staying till dec 31 when lease is up. they have started showing the place but i keeep asking for 24 hour notice before someone shows up. is that within my rights? what are my rights? where can i find them out?

Answers

5
Christine Wilson’s answer
It should state in your lease a "reasonable amount of time" to be given before showing. If you prefer 24 hours, just state it and hope the agent will do the best they can. However, you also want to try and be as reasonable as possible to any potential "landlords" to make sure they will want to keep you as a tenant until the lease is up. Unless you have recorded the lease, you have no rights should the new owner want you to leave. You may say this place is stupid but you are the one who signed the lease as is. Next time be sure to read the lease ( or anything you sign) carefully and if there is a portion you want to change, you may ask for it to be changed. There is an additional terms section of all the leases Realtors use; that would be a good place to state 24 hours.
you will be moving soon so please make sure that whatever property you rent after this experience has a statement for 24hr notice to enter any property. The law states that a 24 hr written notice is to be posted. However no one should enter anyones property without notice, this is to protect the owner as well as the tenant. Ask for a copy of the tenant law pamphlet you can get at the library or any housing office. Good luck....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013
you are of no help to me. it is written in my lease theaat they can show the place but no time limit. new orleans is out of its mind. like other places ive lived, nyc/bayarea, there are certain basic renters rights such as 24 hour notice needed. this place is stupid
Your seller can sell but your lease states according to what you have written that you will be living on the premises until December 31. Read your lease and your answers will be there.

Susan Penn, PA, SFR, CDPE http://about.me/HomesForSale_SusanJPennPA
EWM Realtors® | A HomeServices of America Company | An Affiliate of Berkshire Hathaway
2000 Main Street, Suite 103 | Weston, FL 33326
T: 954.306.7337 | C: 954.557.5993 | F: 954.515.0200 | penn.s@ewm.com |
The first place to look is at your lease. If you don't have one it is difficult to say. Property owners do have the right to market their properties. You can ask the Seller again (maybe in writing) and their Agent if they have one, to give you a bit more notice. Make the case to them that you would have time to tidy up a bit which would help them sell the property.

If you need help finding a new rental or thinking about buying. Interview a few Realtors to help you out.

CCS Relaty, LLC
504-304-2307
Licensed in the State of Louisiana