Home Buying in Mariner>Question Details

Rick, Both Buyer and Seller in Atlanta, GA

with the new report out on China wall board being toxic and it was used in Florida, how do you know which

Asked by Rick, Atlanta, GA Sun Apr 26, 2009

builders used it? And it seems it was used in newer homes from 2005 - 2008, maybe still in the hands of builders that went bankrupt and selling it off? has florida tried to find this stuff yet? Are the insurance companies going to cover the cost of replacement?

Answers

7
My advice is that before you buy a house, bring a licensed inspector.
There are many houses in Florida with toxic wallboard.
Rick,

For a home that has been completed for several years, it is fairly easy to determine if Chinese drywall was used during construction. Your home inspector will be able to provide you with this information.

This problem is more wide spread than Florida and has been traced to a number of other states in the south eastern portion of the US.

There are builders that have come forward and taken responsibility for this issue, mover the owners out, and made necessary repairs at no charge to them. However, when you speak with the owners, many of them have additional concerns that have not been resolved: damaged electrical appliances, cleaning expences, medical bills etc.

Don't expect the insurance companies to rush to anyones rescue. This is a good example of another tangled mess that will take a while to unravel....until that happens, we can plan on watching the key players(builders, developers, trades people, distributers etc.) pointing their fingers at each other.
Hi Rick,
Sorry I am late in responding, been out of town. I was recently interviewed by the News-Press regarding Chinese Drywall. As our discussions increased I suggested that they contact the Govenors office and start pressuring them for some answers. This has promoted an addendum that is now available for all FAR BAR contracts. It is called the Chinese/Defective Drywal Addendum to Contract. It allows for inspection time and a damage $ amount if exceeded causes the contract to be voided and deposit refunded. You have heard the topical signs of detecting this type of drywall, but if you do suspect C.D. then you easily can gain access to the attic and move aside the insulation and look on the drywall and you will know it US or Chinese by the language. It is doubtful it would be intermingled in the walls, however, you have other environmental sources that can bring in equipment that can measure the toxins in the air (Environmental Services). My personal contact with the homes that have this substance in them have only been in 2005 and one in 2006. I would like to offer you a free website that allows you access to the Gulfcoast MLS: http://www.swfloridahomebuyer.listingbook.com. I will be happy to answer any other questions you have.

P/S As a buyers realtor, we are obligated to giving you full disclosure on any known defects. As a seller's realtor we are under the same ethics law. Once a seller signs a FL contract for listing their home they are put under the same obligation of disclosure and can be held liable if they knowingly try to sell their home without disclosing this fact. Realtors rely on the full disclosure statement that the seller is required to sign upon listing their home.

The legal and insurance remedies are still being worked out.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2008"
By Gulfshore Life Magazine
sarahgarrett@argfl.com
239-464-8620
There are some really good answers here and each one very very helpful in making the public(myself,too) of an up and coming problem. I know the real estate market is getting really hit hard in Cape Coral area, one of the reasons I'm checking housing in the area.. But every week a new problem comes to surface in owning a home in Florida, and it is making it harder to convince my partner to move. But home inspection is always on any one's list, thing is its getting longer,longer. Thanks I will be checking the article mentioned, and I usually follow the news in central Florida, I like the Gulf coast over the Atlantic for now. Thank you all and please, keep up the good work with the answers. Maybe I should touch on the tax question soon.
A good housing inspector will be able to tell if the home was constructed with Chinese drywall. Any offer should be subject to a home inspection. If Chinese drywall is found during the inspection, you can terminate contract without penalty.

Good luck with your search!
Rick,

The Chinese drywall was only used in homes from 04-08, with a seemingly heavier concentration in 06 built homes. There are a few resources available to find out which builders used it. The state is doing testing on homes to find out exactly what the health risks are in affected homes. The insurance companies aren't doing anything at this point - the only recourse I'm aware of is to contact the builder of your home. If you're purchasing a home in the area now, I would highly recommend getting an inspection prior to close to determine if there is any evidence of C.D. in it. There are a few properties on the market right now with known C.D. and are typically priced to reflect the work needed to remediate the issue.

I have a few links on my website regarding the drywall issues, including a state resource. If I can answer any other questions for you please let me know.

I hope you're having a great weekend!

Danielle Sharp
Broker Assoc
Vadala Realty

Direct 239.471.2102
Cell 248.207.4445
Makk sure you get a home inspection. There are signs that stick out like a sore thumb. Look at anything copper in the homes, the copper will be covered with black soot stuff, almost looks like balck insulation over the copper pipes. Check the water heater pipes, connections under sinks and the air handler.... I have saw it in several homes. We were told that is was put into about 1/2 of 1% of the homes built, not sure if thats true or not, just what I was told.
There is a good article in todays paper here about it, it also lists a number of builders in the paper, but not all of them as I have saw it in some homes where the builders were not on this list.

Remember its all pretty new to the area so it is just starting to be looked into.

Jay LaGace
LaGace & Whitt Partners
Century 21 Birchwood Realty Inc.
4040 Del Prado Blvd.
Cape Coral, FL 33904
239-443-8795
Web Reference: http://www.capecoralc21.com