Home Buying in Moorpark>Question Details

Leonor, Home Buyer in Woodland Hills, UT

will interest rates keep rising?

Asked by Leonor, Woodland Hills, UT Thu Aug 7, 2008

Answers

8
Scott Godzyk’s answer
rates are down not up? if the rates are up you are looking at the wrong mortgage broker. rates will stay low and maybe even come down a little until the banks start lending, property sales increase then you will see a steady rise in rates as banks look to make some profit to offset all these losses. good luck
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Leonor ~

Thirty-Year FIXED rate mortgages are now down to 5.78%, compared to 6.08% last week. Multiply "6" times every one-hundred thousand ($100K) you borrow to get a rough idea on how much your payment will be... So, a $400K loan balance will equal a Principal and Interest Payment of approx. $2,400./mo. -- It won't get much better than that!! I have a link on my website to current mortgage rates:
http://www.bankrate.com/baw/rate/mtg_home.asp
Hi there Leonor, The most accurate answer is nobody really knows for sure. Nobody has a crystal ball to see into the future. But I can send you facts that show the rates over the last 25 years which will help give you a better picture. My clients will receive a n update from me if there is any fluctuation tht will effect them if they are in the process of getting a loan.
For my clients I negotiate that the seller buy down the rate. This helps by buyers, by getting a lower interest ate which will save them a lot more over the life of the loan

Hope this helps. If you need to speak to a fantastic lender let me know

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
Realtor/MBA
First Team Real Estate
714 552 6817
michael-barron@sbcglobal.net
Leonor,
As a future homebuyer, you should hope interest rates DO RISE. Here's the reason why: Home AFFORDABILITY is based on several factors, but the bottom line is that you are buying a "payment" rather than a house. You are QUALIFIED to buy the home of your dreams based on the payment you can afford. If interest rates should rise, the HOME SELLER will be forced to LOWER THEIR SELLING PRICE in order for you to purchase their home.

So, you will pay less for your home up front, pay it off sooner, have LOWER property taxes every month, and THEN you can refinance to an even lower payment when/if interest rates fall again. No one has a crystal ball. But, rising interest rates can help you buy your next home and come out smelling like a rose at retirement!
Yes. The banks are going to make a killing. It will also drive down asset prices - due to, you guessed it - financing pressure (among other things, like excess space).
Short answer: most likely.
Mortgage interest rates go up and down many times during every day. That's why I check with my favorite mortgage lender first thing every morning and check back with him in the afternoon. By doing this, I am able to give my clients up to date information.
If you are referring to long-term mortgage interest rates, then the answer is: nobody knows. :) Smile.

Seriously, if someone could know for sure, that person would be a multi-millionaire. Long-term Mortgage interest rates are driven by the price of mortgage backed securities. Such prices change daily and we have seen a lot of volitility in the mortgage backed securities markets. This means that interest rate have risen, but they have also dropped many times in the same day. Whether the rate you lock in has risen or dropped depends on when exactly you priced your loan and when you locked it. If you were to graph it out, it may look like a rollacoaster.

In a general sense, inflationary pressures on the economy tend to be bad news for mortgage bonds and this drives down the price of such bonds and consequently pushes interest rates up. Therefore, if the dollar weakens, the price of oil goes up, and other factors that will worsen inflation happen, then this will likely mean that interest rates will go up. However, if the reverse happens, and the Federal Reserve raises the federal funds rates to try to control inflation, something bad happens in the stock market, etc, then interest rates may tend to drop.

The moral of the story is that whether mortgage interest rates go up or down and the reason why may be a lot more complex than what most people think. This is why it would be good for you to work with a trusted Mortgage Consultant that can guide you through all of these issues and help you make the right decisions.