Home Buying in Decatur>Question Details

s357robinson, Home Buyer in Decatur, GA

why is that a house is listed at price but when you ask to see a house you told that its much higher price than what it is listed for.?

Asked by s357robinson, Decatur, GA Fri Aug 10, 2012

Answers

6
I'm not sure in other states, however in Georgia we are seeing a rapid increase with investor purchases. Today with the internet buyers are all around the world access at these properties and multiple offers are being placed on properties. In the past, list price meant that price or lower. Today list prices are generally low and are now becoming the starting point of the sale. Please keep in mind that each property is different and must be looked at each individually. Properties are also going for lower then asking, it just depends on the actual listing and how good of a deal it really is.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
LISTING PRICE
Understand that the LISTING PRICE has one primary objective, to attract attention: It is not intended to be set in stone, and in many cases it is not even a good guideline toward the SELLING PRICE.
Some Sellers believe that by setting the LISTING PRICE high, they can always come down, and people will make an offer anyway: WRONG! Buyers will just bypass the property and look at houses that are within their price range. And six months from now, the Seller will slowly start lowering the PRICE, (this is called “chasing the curve”) and Buyers will be asking the question; “What’s wrong with that house?” and “Why has it been on the Market so long?”
Other Sellers set the LISTING PRICE low, to attract multiple offers. (The correct strategy.) We are asked; “Aren’t you obligated to sell at this price if someone offers it?” The answer is probably not; for that to happen, you would first have to have only one offer, and secondly, the offer would have be exactly the same, down to the smallest detail, (please discuss this with your Realtor).
Another thought; Buyer will search for potential properties by groups; for example, $400,000 to $450,000, and $250,000 to $300,000. If your house is priced at $460,000 or $310,000, the Buyers will never see it. (something else to discuss with your Agent.)
Different Banks have different philosophies about pricing their properties: You cannot draw any conclusions without a good analysis.
Have your Realtor do a CMA, (Comparative Market Analysis) to help you determine your Offering Price. It is the surest way to determine the Market Value of the property.
Were you on Craigslist? I've noticed several ads like this.... Definitely scammers.
Because a whole industry of scammers is hijacking almost every listing on other websites where it is free to post, and they essentially copy full ads for houses for sale or rent and change only the price and contact info. I think they have software to automate the process, so it has become rampant.
When you email about that $700 house in the $1800 neighborhood, the scammer will tell you that they are doing mission work in Africa or taking care of a sick relative in America, and they "just want someone to take care of my house while I am gone - just send the security deposit and I'll do the paperwork and send keys."
It must be working, b/c I encounter these false ads all the time with rentals and even sale properties.

The bottom line - if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
good luck
Jody Steinberg
BHGRE Metro Brokers
4o4-932-577l
Where is this occurring? Online or at a model house or what?
Because instead of using a licensed realtor you're using sites that use false advertising to intice buyers like yourself to call in with the hopes of getting you into something higher priced. By using a licensed realtor like myself, your will have access to and get assistance with getting into a property that's priced correctly.

Though I can't guarantee that sales prices won't change, I'm better equipped with assisting you in making the best choice with your money by assisting you with navigating the ins and outs of this crazy real estate market.

Travis Williams 
BHGRE Metro Brokers
404.422.8568
MyAgentIsTravis .com