Home Buying in Long Beach>Question Details

Linda Vel, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

why does north long beach have such a horrible reputation? we r looking to buy and it seems this is the only area in our price range.

Asked by Linda Vel, Los Angeles, CA Tue Nov 20, 2012

We are a new family with one baby and we both work in long beach and would like to stay local. We figure maybe in five years we can save more money and maybe make a small profit from the house we might purchase and go to a better area. Just wondering if we will be safe, and if its the right north long beach is the right choice?

Probably the biggest difference is the school ratings. North Long Beach is often judged by it's culture which is heavy Hispanic. This is a judgement made by others and you should personally decide on where you are comfortable. If you click on this link, I have compared the Crime Statistics of 90805 Zip code (North Long Beach) to Los Altos (90815) which is regarded as one of the nicer areas of Long Beach. The results would be surprising to many. Once there, you can compare other zip codes or look at other statistics, such as schools, income, education, etc. Best of luck.
Schools and Crime are always worthy of consideration, but you want to take into account your family's overall quality of life. Do you have a dog or intend to have one? Would you like to feel safe walking your dog on the streets in the evening? Will you spend more time and money because you feel more comfortable driving to an out of the area market as opposed to the corner market? Is there graffiti everywhere? Are people friendly? What types of businesses are in the neighborhood and what types of clientele do they attract? Are unsavory types hanging out, just standing around? These are things to consider that maybe a crime rate and school rating won't.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
Hi, Linda,

North Long Beach is a large area, and yes, parts of it are sketchy, and other areas are pride of ownership neighborhoods. I have worked with families who have raised their children in North Long Beach and been there for many, many years. Others I have helped purchase homes have started in North Long Beach, sold a few years later and moved on to other neighborhoods within our City. Please consider this part of our City if you find it is within your price range, there are some pretty great houses and nice blocks with friendly neighbors that are definitely worth your consideration!

Nancy Cardena
Main Street Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
thanks so much for ur lovely response !!! :)
Flag Thu Nov 29, 2012
Until you have consulted with a lender, you really don't know what you can afford in the purchase of a home. Current interest rates remain a record lows, and if you were to use a variable rate loan, the rates may be even more favorable. Having a more favorable rate will allow you to better leverage your purchase money .

I have a list of contacts who can provide you with the information you need prior to making a decision. This information is normally provided at no charge, but you should allows inquire and confirm any obligation.

As to schools and safety information, you may wish to view http://www.greatschools.org and http://www.crimereports.com for information from independent sources. When using these sites, you may wish to compare where you currently live against other areas...this will allow for a broader view.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have concerning real estate.

Jerome Hodge
First Team Real Estate
DRE# 01866533
Cell# 562.413.6068
we have and since we can only do fha we r limited... and investors keep coming in and stealing our thunder
Flag Thu Nov 29, 2012
Hello Linda,

You may be surprised to find out you can buy more home than you think. With today's low interesrt rates buyers can actually afford more home.

That being said, if you have school aged children you will want to find an area with good schools.

I work primarly with buyers and would be more than happy to asisist you in getting pre approved to find out for sure how much home you can purchase.

I always advise my clients not to get too hung up on any one area.

If you would like to set up a "no obligation" meeting please give me a call.

The conerstone of my business is helping first time buyers, especially young families.

Happy Holidays to you, and I wish you all the success in your home quest!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Hi Linda,

Often people "rate" neighborhoods based on school quality or crime statistics. If you want to compare North Long Beach with other areas of Long Beach (or surrounding communities), you can go to http://www.LongBeachHomeSpot.com/micommunity/zip/90805. You can see information about various communities, allowing you to compare and contrast.

I've been helping home buyers and sellers in Long Beach since 1998 and would be happy to discuss areas with you as well. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like.

Warm regards,

Shannon Jones
Hi Linda,

I would love to help you investigate different Long Beach areas. The discussion is much too long to have on here. If you would like to get together and talk, please give me a call at 562 833-4008. I have been selling Long Beach for many years and have an excellent handle on the communities.

Celeste Jablonski
Main Street Realtors
What is your price range, I'm seeing a handful of really nice looking, nicely upgraded homes in N Long Beach, I would consider to be at "entry level".

We Realtors can't report on whether particular areas are more "unsafe" than others, we have to just tell you to call the police department or look for crime statistics in any given area.

I'd be happy to help you, just shoot me an email directly, I won't look back on this same Trulia posting for answers after mine.

Emily S. Knell
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group