Home Buying in Waynesville>Question Details

Jan Chapman, Home Buyer in 29169

why do you leave properties on here as active listings when they are under contract? Checked on two properties and they are both under contract.

Asked by Jan Chapman, 29169 Thu Aug 9, 2012

Answers

3
Hi Jan,

In our MLS, we must label properties that are under contract as "Backups Requested" under a category called "Add. Status." Trulia doesn't pick up that category. The information about listings is an automatic feed from the MLS to Trulia. Brokers can edit on Trulia (we can't on most websites), but Trulia only gives us the following categories to select from: For Sale, Sold, Pending, Active Contingency, Off Market. We would not select Pending until a property is has already gone through the buyer's due diligence period and is ready to go to closing. So the only way to solve this is to ask Trulia to provide a new category of Backups Requested. Hope this explanation helps. Feel free to call or email if you have further questions!

Kerry Kathleen Finn
RE/MAX Mountain Realty
Waynesville, NC
(828) 400-9392
Kerry@KerryFinn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 9, 2012
I'm not a real estate professional. Just an ordinary person who wants to spend my time looking at properties I can actually view with a realtor when I find one I am interested in. In my opinion, what you have described is a matter of semantics. If you are no longer showing the properties because there is a contract, then they are not "active" and should be marked pending, or at the very least, noted somewhere on the description. This is very frustrating. I am sure you can appreciate that.
Flag Thu Aug 9, 2012
I understand your frustration. In my area, I routinely call the listing agents to make sure the property is not under contract despite the fact that it may be showing available in MLS because more often than not the agent hasn't updated the information. If MLS isn't current, then Trulia hasn't got a shot at being current because the information on Trulia comes from an MLS feed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 9, 2012
Good question

I know how frustrating it is for me, when I get an internet inquiry on a listing of mine that closed months ago...and was reported as closed on my MLS - bu it still shows as active on some online sites.

As an FYI - In my area, homes are not listed as "under contract" for several days after a contract has been signed. We have an attorney review period, so although the house is showng as active, there is already a signed contract in place.

In my opinion, overall, the most reliable listing information is from Realtor.com and the local MLS online.