Home Buying in Baltimore>Question Details

W.E.C., Home Buyer in Baltimore, MD

why do some realtors post pictures of inner harbor and the downtown skyline and not a single photo of the front of the house? it would be much more

Asked by W.E.C., Baltimore, MD Mon Jun 28, 2010

helpful to know what the exterior of the house is than tourist photos. Or are these realtors that out of touch? Can you honestly be that serious about selling the place?

Answers

11
The house may not have any curb appeal, may not be staged, the owners may be messy...could be many things. The tactic is used as a way to sell the area rather than the house. I'd say the Realtor is more in touch for doing this. Rather than marketing an eyesore that no one would go see they can generate some sort of interest/traffic and as always correct these eyesores with price negotiations. Buyer's should be aware of this fact and it is their own agent's job to warn them that the house may need some TLC.

Enjoy the holiday!
Don just an FYI; I don't put a price on my brochure because in a correcting market the price we start at is not always the price we end with. Don't get me wrong I set very realistic expectations with my seller's but if they want to test the waters, I have no problems with that. So I don't put the price on the brochure because I don't want to spend marketing dollars on pieces that I have to throw away. Check one of my brochures via the link below. The blanket statements are killers I'm not playing games or a bait and switch besides they can go straight to the web site and view the price in real time.
It is done typically for two reasons and should not be allowed. In our Austin MLS we have to show front view of a property or you risk getting fined. The reason it is done is typically 1. The house is probably not very easy on the eyes and 2. It forces you to go see it.

The same sort of marketing is done by Agents not putting the price on flyers to solicit calls from possible home buyers. I would never work with an agent who plays those types of games.... and you can also guess that in most cases the home is overpriced for the market.
lol, because they didn't hire me! Here is another one for you. Why do people call me and not want to give me a name or say they will call me back when I know they have no intention of doing so? It's just common courtesy folks! I mean really what is everyone so afraid of? I don't think anyone is giving the "hard sell" anymore. Seriously, I don't like to be sold so why would I waste my time trying to sell someone else. I am building lasting relationships by providing timely and trusted information along with superior service and I can't do that for the folks who are unlucky enough to have not been referred to me by one of my friends and clients if you won't even tell me your name! lol but I digress. The strategy of hiding photo's because a home is ugly is just plain silly! What are you trying to surprise people when they show up? Besides someone might like that ugly home!
Its a shame, but there are still Realtors that should not be in the business - normally a slow down that we just went thru cleanses the bad ones out, but not totally - I have been in the business for over 30 years and seen it happen over and over again - us old timers know it's a cyclic business and when its good we store up for the bad times - and are able to make it thru!
I just wish it was harder to get a real estate license - they just need a few hours of instruction and a few hours yearly to keep their license to be able to handle the most prized possession most of us own - our homes! Where one little bobble or mistake can cost us homeowners thousands! Okay, I'll put back on my Realtor cap - every broker/owner should require about triple the training that is required - but most don't! Its a shame we have to be regulated as we are - we are the oldest association is existence and try to keep the laws in check, friendly to home owners! That is our RPAC committee, that many Realtors do not contribute to even though it protects their business - thats a shame too!

Bill Wootan
I agree it can be mis-leading when a photo of the near by attractions are the main photo...in my opinion, I think the main photo should be a main attraction of the home (front, back yard, kitchen, or some unique feature)...then include those other attractions in the attachment pictures. I think some Realtors think it's eye catching- and makes people want to look further- instead of judging a book by it's cover so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you need any assistance with your home search!!

Thanks!

Annie
Wec,

You bring up an interesting topic and are "on the mark" with your observation. Many area multiple listing services make it mandatory the a frontal view picture is included in the photo presentation or it will not publish th property.

Until this is done, many people will continue to play games with the pictures........

Great point,

In showing houses in Downtown Baltimore, I find that when agents put those photos and not any of exterior of the house, it is due to the house not having too much to offer in terms of visual appeal. If those photos are with others of the actual house, then it is to demonstrate the uniqueness of the neighborhood.
This happened to my buyer & myself last weekend -- and every house without the exterior front photo had formstone instead of brick so we didn't even go inside. Many times when a rehab has been done on a house, the contractor takes the formstone off and puts brick up for aesthetics.
I hope that helps!
Please let me know if I can help you further.
Thank you!
Marney Kirk
drives me crazy too. Maybe the house doesnt look good, or maybe a new home and nothing built. Either way if its a dump...show pictures...some people are looking to fix up. If its a new home, show a drawing or or picture of new home sign. Some million $$ homes dont even have pictures.
ask your Realtor to see the home for you, then you will know if its worth your time.
There are so many architectural styles in Baltimore that it's hard to put just one picture of a house. I use a generic landscape cityscape on my header but always post photo's of my listings. There are over 200 distinct neighborhoods in Baltimore City and each neighborhood has a different distinctive style of home. It just seems that the Inner Harbor scape favored by so many realtors is just a draw you in photo to see what else is available. If you are thinking about buying a home in Baltimore let's talk and let me introduce you to some very unique and wonderful neighborhoods in this great city.
Excellent question. If rhe photos are mostly limited to postcard shots of Baltimore's generic landscape, it might be safe to assume that the home does not have too many endearing exterior physical attributes.