Home Buying in Kenosha>Question Details

laupmanis, Renter in 60640

why are the property taxes in WI so high?

Asked by laupmanis, 60640 Sun Aug 12, 2012

Answers

11
Brad Buntrock’s answer
High taxes as compared to where? It really is a relative term. Where you choose to live within the state will also effect the amount of tax you pay. If you live in a city and enjoy all of the city services you will pay more than someone who lives in the country, even if your assessed value is the same. Property taxes can vary widely and sould be consider before buying a home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2012
I am shocked at the property tax rate in Wisconsin. For example, I compared Sheboygan to U.S. average and it is almost two times higher. U.S. average based on Bestplaces.net is 11.20 and Sheboygan is 21.16, Kenosha is 20.65, while my snooty little town in heart of thoroughbred horse country is only 7.48. What's the story? I am no longer considering a move to Wisconsin.
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013
I just got my tax bill and for a $110,000 property in City of Racine and it is $80 more than my $210,000 house in SAME county but city of Waterford. The tax bill showed double in the Racine Unified and City of Racine Donut fund??? Both also showing a 2.5% increase from 2011.....

They tax me like I should be happy to have a place there and it REALLY should be the other way around! If any onebody has answers I'd love to hear them!!!!

I am sure the govenment just wants everyone to shut and pay.
2012 was the first time in awhile for Wisconsin that property taxes actually went down.
Because it is a liberal state. Look up the history of WI. People of this state always thought the govenment should be large. I just moved here from Denver for a pay raise that has been eroded by WI's high tax burden. The streets should be paved in gold with the high property and income taxes.
It would help to get the address so I can double check for you. Sometimes a water bill is rolled onto the taxes and it appears at first glance that it's part of the taxes. It also depends where your moving from. I know in the Southern States, property taxes are very low, so moving to the north seems high.
Answering question from all over, I have seen that the majority of the Country is about 1.25% to 1.5%.
I have also heard that New York City won't even talk about it, and Cape Cod is something like 3.75%!!
Yikes!!!

I think New Jersey is high too.

So, what about Wisconsin?
That doesn't sound right. I have a 2 bedroom condo in Kenosha, assessed at about $150k and I pay about $3500. Without knowing what specific property you're referring to it is hard to say what the taxes are.
I am currently looking at 2-bedroom condos in north Chicago and the taxes are in the $3,000 range. If I am reading the listings correcting, the same square footage in Racine/Kenosha are approximately $5-7,000. Does WI have a state tax? sales tax?
thanks
They're not really. Your opinion is they're high, compared to where? Remember taxes are based on the assessed value of a propertty, not the sales price.
Look at your tax bill it breaks down where your property tax $$$'S GO. Then when you vote make sure you know who is spending your money and make sure they have the same plan as you for your money.

Debby Homestead Realty inc
You need to ask your state elected officials.