Nl, Home Buyer in 10541

why are school taxes based on the value of your home? shouldnt the school bill just be divided by the number of homes. this way everyone pays the same

Asked by Nl, 10541 Wed Aug 18, 2010

Meaning, why are some people paying more and some less for the same education just because there house is bigger or smaller.

Answers

3
Although there has been much debate about a different way to fund our school systems in NY, this is the way it is. It's kind of like income tax, the more you make the more you pay (in theory).

What most people in Putnam County do not realize is their home is over assessed. When home prices and assessment went up everyone ran to tax grievance day to get their assessment reduced. When prices started coming down and assessments came down nobody showed up. The problem is if your home value went down 20-30% and you assessment went down 10% then you are paying too much. I grieved my own assessment a few months ago and had my assessed value reduced by $110,000! Needless to say, I'm saving a couple of thousand dollars a year in taxes. I've helped others get similar reductions in the past.

Don Mituzas
Prudential Serls Prime Properties
2008 PCAR Realtor of the Year
Web Reference: http://www.nyhomeseller.com
Hi NI,

Property taxes are levied by counties, municipalities, and school districts where the millage rated is determined by county executives, city council members and school board members based on the approved budget. The taxes pay for school budgets and other community expenses.

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
914-315-6182
Hello NI:

Property Taxes for school districts usually are charged to all owners, not just the ones with students in the schools. Some states have tried to shift to a different tax structure (like an earned income tax, or higher sales tax) instead of proerty school taxes.

For now, it looks like the theory is, if you can afford a more expensive home, thenm you can afford to pay more to support the schools. Also, since better schools tent to improve property values in the area, the "rich districts" often sell for more money (at least in PA).

Sorry that won't change things. But hopefully it explains it for you.