Home Buying in Williamsburg>Question Details

Emily Stedman, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

who is the best real estate agent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, ny?

Asked by Emily Stedman, New York, NY Wed Aug 12, 2009

I am looking to buy a condo in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and want to find someone knowledgeable, who will work in my best interests, and has a good reputation with references.

Answers

9
David Leiter’s answer
As it was stated here, every agent will think they are the best (and unfortunately, many are not great at all). Since it only takes 45 hours and about 1-2 weeks to get your real estate license (up until recently it has been raised slightly), this allows many people to have run into the business in the past few years, regardless of their experience or knowledge.

What you want to find is someone who has experience in the business and is looking out for your best interests and not just looking to make a sale. In this market, many agents may not be making money. This will usually be accompianed with a focus on closing you and pushing you into something. Of course, you don't want this but you can use your common sense when you talk to someone if they are looking out for you first.

Good agents will ask you a lot of questions too about what you want and need first. They will also help you figure out how much you can afford to pay and help you get pre-approved for a mortgage (Be careful here about pre-approvals! Read my article on this at http://www.leiterrealty.com in the free "Knowledge Center".

Secondly, find a local broker. Many brokers in other areas claim to know the area because Williamsburg has been kind of "hot" the last few years. Nothing compares to someone who works in the area 6 (or 7 days) per week. Find these agents who work and play locally.

Check reviews on Google when you search a companies name to see others experience with the company. Also search Williamsburg Brooklyn Real Estate Broker to find those who show up. The advertisements on the right and in the shaded top pay to be listed there. The other listings are determined by Google to be most relevant, meaning they are truly local specialists.

Make sure they are a member of REBNY (Real Estate Board of New York) and that they have access to the OLR database which features all the listings available for sale. This will be important as the smaller brokers will not have OLR which means they will be relying on looking through craigslist and NY Times to show you listings (which of course you can do yourself). The OLR database will give you all the listings that are available in an area by ANY broker there (who is a member of REBNY).

On your end, you should agree to work with the agent exclusively and not go see listings on your own. The reason for this is that a good agent will work hard for you and of course at the end of the day would like to get paid if and when you buy (the seller pays the commission so it costs you nothing). A good agent will ask you to work exclusively with them because they value their time and they are busy.

Also, an agent can help you out greatly, but you should spend some time educating yourself by looking around and knowing a bit about the market yourself. Spend an hour searching, using trulia, NY Times real estate online, craigslist, and/or streeteasy. These sites are great to educate yourself.

Another way to educate yourself and get more information on how to spot opportunities in this market, is by dialing a free 24 hour recorded message that I did to explain to you how not to overpay in this market. Call 1-800-480-6510 x112

Of course now I will give you the shameless pitch on why we are the best. First of all, we do all the things above and we truly care about making you a "raving fan". You can see our testimonials of previous clients at http://www.leiterrealty.com/testimonials.php. So this means we will go the extra mile for you to find you what you want. In addition, I hire very few agents and spend a lot of time training agents on how to treat people and how to be experts in the business. As an investor for 12+ years, I was extremely frustrated by the lack of good agents out there. In fact, most agents really just annoyed me and didn't add any value to the process of buying. We strive to be very different.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.
Web Reference: http://www.leiterrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 17, 2009
Hi Emily

We at Bridge Realty want to assure you that you will do everything to make your search for a new home a comfortable and responsible way. We have been here in the neighborhood for 30+ years. We handle Williamsburg and Greenpoint. I think that the best agency is one that you feel comfortable with, and your gut will let you know. We will also guide you on how to deal with your bank for pre-approval and pre-qualification.
Contact us on our web site, just see what you may like. http://www.bridge-realtyny.com
Emily, all brokers work for the seller. Let me repeat that, all brokers work for the seller. They get paid by the seller and most reputable brokers will make you sign a document before showing you properties stating that they are working for the seller and not the buyer. Brokers are there to answer your questions, etc., but they ultimately get paid based upon how high the selling price is. Finding a broker you like is a personal thing. that person just has to be someone you feel comfortable with. You really should work with a real estate attorney and mortgage officer who will give you unbias information on your rights and purchasing power.
Hi Emily:

I'm amazed! There are so many real estate professionals in Brooklyn, NY and not so many have claimed the fame. This signifies many things. Here are a couple - Either the industry professional have quit, because it has become more difficult to sell a home, or the requirements to become a representative have increased.

However, it requires your involvement to find the best agent in Williamsburg. You must:

Thoroughly do some research.
Interview at least 3 agents for the position.
Do background checks on the company and the agent
Require Testimonials
Ask to see track records
Ask many questions and listen carefully.
Ask for references, etc.

Base on the answers, you should be able to narrow things and select your candidate. Remember you are the one paying the commision. Read: http://www.trulia.com/blog/pierreking/2009/08/are_buyers_a_w…

Pierre S. King
Web Reference: http://www.kandhHomes.com
Hello, just let me tell you that every agent think they're the best. But the best way is to visit a real estate office in the Williamsburg area and do some investigating. First of all, go online and see which companies in the area has the type of units you are looking for and then see which agent has most of those listings. This way, the agent you have can show you a variety of condos. Also, you can go into the area and walk into the office and speak directly with the broker and ask for an experienced agent that can represent you in finding a condo.

Also, go on Trulia under "FIND A REAL ESTATE PRO" and read their profile and see the homes they have for sale. Good luck with everything.
Web Reference: http://www.KandHhomes.com
Emily
I am in Brooklyn NEW YORK, not Brooklyn OH as the answer says. I don't know how that got there.
Hi Emily,
Gerard Splendore here, Associate Broker with Halstead Brooklyn. Our company does not aspire to be the biggest, but we aspire to be the best.

As a broker representing YOU, the BUYER, my goal is to obtain the correct property for you at the LOWEST price.

That being said, I work in the Brooklyn Heights Office and have sold in Williamsburg in the past.

My question for YOU, Emily, is what do you mean by "BEST" Broker?

I am resourceful, patient and very, very understanding of my client's needs and limitations. I am particularly good with first time buyers, and will remind you that if you ARE a first time buyer, we should meet and look at a few things and submit some bids because the $8000 credit for first time buyers from the Federal Government is available ONLY if you close on your new home before the end of November. No time to waste!

Questions I typically ask are: To where must you commute for work? Do you have pets? Would you put other
family members on the stock and lease so they could live in the aptartment in the future? How long do you intend to stay in the apartment? What amenties do you desire? Must you have a new unit? Will you do some renovation on an older unit? Do you require outdoor space? What is really, really important to you in this apartment? (e.g. great light, great view, super kitchen, multiple closets, etc.).

Perhaps the most important question(s): Have you pre-qualified for a mortgage? Are you working with a mortgage broker? Do you have a real estate attorney? Will you need a guarantor? Have you looked at your credit score? How much liquid $ will you have AFTER you pay the down payment?

I have a long history with several of the required "team players" listed above, and can supply you recommendations.

Emily, I can easily be reached by cell phone 917 714 0305 (i am in the office now) or on my office line
718 613 2052. Oh, and must you sell the apartment where you are currently living to buy a new one? I can find you a qualified buyer, if so.

Talk to you soon!
Gerard Splendore
917 714 0305
Dear Emily:

In my opinion, which may be slightly biased, I am the best real estate agent in Williamsburg! After all, I am the first agent in Brooklyn to respond to your question!

We just opened up a brand new office on Douglas Street right off Smith and we have a team oriented environment to help you every step of the way. I/we will diligently seek out the perfect property to meet your specific needs. Please contact me right away so we can discuss this further. We are members of the Brooklyn New York Multiple Listing Service and the Real Estate Board of New York so we have access to thousands of listings in Brooklyn.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Hello Emily,
My name is Alexis Gass and I am a real estate agent w/Gloria Nilson GMAC in New Jersey. If you would like I can take some of your information and our Referral Dept. can find you a knowledgable Agent in the Area you are looking. Please feel free to email me @ Agass@gnrgmac.com with your contact information and I will give you a call.