Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Itsawg, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

where to start at when trying to become a 1st time home buyer?

Asked by Itsawg, Philadelphia, PA Tue Feb 4, 2014

Answers

13
Hey there!

I would be more than happy to assist you with getting started. Shoot me an email at Jo@MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com to request my free E-Book for First Time Home Buying. This valuable booklet contains a step-by-step guide to buying your first home. You can also email me with any questions you have. I'm happy to be of assistance!

--
Jo Price
Keller Williams Realty Group
Jo@MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com
http://www.MyPhiladelphiaAgent.com

Where to Start?? What a great question! A lot of people dive head first into the buying process and by you asking,shows me that when the time comes to make a decision, you will be prepared to make the right one.
To start the process I always suggest that a client checks http://www.annualcreditreport.com. It's Free and you can look for any mistakes on all 3 credit reporting agencies. If you find something incorrect, you can dispute the information and they have 30 days to correct the information. Again - Free.
Since money plays a huge role in buying a home, I suggest that we start with the basics - good credit,employment and then check out 3 lenders (don't have them run your credit each time) and check the mortgage rates, application fees and any other fees they may charge.I can suggest some lenders that have 1st time home buyer programs with reduced fees. Your lender will tell you what amount of money you are pre approved for. Once you know your pre approval amount, you will know the price range of the house you can afford. Also, you will need money for a down payment on a house and money for closing costs.
Now you know what you can afford, check out neighborhoods and schools. Real Estate is always about location. You can have a small house in a great neighborhood and it will cost more money than the large house in a not so great neighborhood.
Ok so you know what you can afford, you have an idea where you want to live, now it's time to interview a few Realtors. See who you feel will work for You and who you feel comfortable with. This is a life decision and a very important one. I would like to apply for the job as your Realtor(I am a Realtor, not a agent) My job is to be of Service to You - Not to Sell You. I take away the stress of buying and selling a home and I fully understand that this is a life event and I feel privileged every time someone selects me as their Realtor.
I hope you found this helpful and feel free to shoot me a e mail .

Kind Regards,

Sue Breault
Keller Williams Real Estate
E mail sbreault415@yahoo.com
Cell - 215-205-9643
If you are currently in the market for your first home, you probably have lots of questions. You are about to be making an important decision for your future, a great investment of both money and time. I have a wealth of experience helping first time buyers like you make sound, informed decisions. Here are some tips that can help make your home buying process successful:
•Tip #1: Do Your Homework
The perfect home won't find you by itself. The key step in buying a home is doing the proper research. Educate yourself on local schools, neighborhoods, and the kinds of homes available. By reading available materials and talking with experts, you can start to put together your idea of the perfect home.
•Tip #2: Start Planning
Most decisions benefit greatly from proper planning, and home buying is certainly no exception. Start a filing system with sections such as home buying, home financing, and service providers. By forming a home buying plan you can more easily focus on the most important factors and help give structure to the entire process. My website is a great resource for property information.
•Tip #3: Get PreQualified
Getting prequalified for a loan normally only requires a short phone conversation with a lender, and can greatly help your home search. Prequalification does not guarantee you a loan, but it does provide you with an estimated monthly payment and a price range to use as a guide when shopping for homes. Being prequalified can also often indicate to sellers that you are a serious, prepared buyer.
•Tip #4: Look for Value
When shopping for homes, it's important to consider potential value. Even if you're not planning to sell the home some time down the line, it's a good idea to consider the future value of the home. Protect yourself against things like falling prices and gradual shifts in the nature of the neighborhood. You may not think of a new home as a means to make money, but it's an important investment that requires caution.
•Tip #5: Decide What You're Looking For
Settle on the home features that are important to you (covered parking, hardwood floors, architectural style, etc.) and make an ordered list. Having well established guidelines will help narrow down your search and will prevent you from being shown properties that lack your key amenities. It can help you make the decision not to buy an attractive property that doesn't really fit your needs. My website has a search feature that allows you to filter thousands of listings based on attributes that you select. If you know you want a brick house with gas heat and a garage, you can get the results you're looking for.
•Tip #6: Relax
You don't have to make an offer on the first home you see. Make sure to look at other listings in the area to get a feel for the marketplace. When you decide to make an offer on a house, consult with your real estate professional so that all of your questions are answered.
•Tip #7: Shop Around for Your Mortgage
Deciding on the financing for your home can be as important as choosing a home itself. The first step is deciding what kind of loan best fits you: a fixed rate mortgage, or an Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM). There are benefits to each form of loan, and your real estate professional can provide you with more information. Next you'll want to begin to shop around for different lenders.
•Tip #8: Protect Yourself
Be careful when signing a contract on a home that allows you to find financing, have the home inspected, and work through any problem areas that may arise. Paying for a quality home inspection is absolutely crucial! You can save yourself thousands in repair costs by being sure of what you're getting into.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Re/Max Palm Realty, http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/
The first thing that any home buyer should do is contact a Realtor who specializes in your local market. This is especially imperative for any first time home buyers. You will be pleasantly surprised how much easier your outlook on buying a home will be. A Realtor will be able to create a buyer plan that meets your particular needs along with setting you up with a reputable lender to find out what loan programs including a FHA option which may best suit you. Good Luck!
Get yourself pre approved for a mortgage and seek out a referral for a real estate agent from someone you trust. Your agent will guide you through the entire process and most likely have service providers to recommend to you, it's that easy.

Chris
I would start with speaking to a mortgage professional to figure what price range/taxes you are comfortable with. I would then find an agent that you would want to work with to help you in the areas you are looking.

Amanda Saundera
Congrats on starting the process to purchase your first home. I work with many first time home buyers and have several tools and resources I can share with you to break down the process in a simple and efficient manner.
It would be great to have the chance to discuss further and answer any questions you may have.
Please feel free to contact me privately so we can arrange a time to talk.
Jennifer
Jennifer L Geddes, MBA
Tri-County Realty
JennPhilaRealtor@gmail.com
484-995-2155 mobile
Please call me at 267-934-1971 or go to my web site at http://www.GreatPaRE.com

Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
Market Force Realty
801 W. Street Rd
Feasterville, PA 19153
866-993-8585
267-934-1971
PhilCunningham2004@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
I'd be happy to schedule a time to talk with you about the buying process. I have a great "cheat sheet" that breaks it down for you.

Kindly contact me and we can meet up at your convenience.

Emily A. McCue
Licensed Real Estate Agent

CENTURY 21 Alliance
4370 Main Street
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Office: (215) 483-3131 Cell: (267) 975-6760 Fax: (215) 483-3827
Licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: License # RS-319388
Email: emily.mccue@century21.com
http://www.emilymccuehomes.com
Hi, I would be happy to go over the next few steps in the process with you. I help a lot of first-time buyers and can provide them as references. Email me or give me a call to begin a dialogue. Hope this helps!

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
856.617.1212
axelson@kurfiss.com
Itsawg,

The first thing to do to buy a property is to get pre-approved be a lender or mortgage company.
Get a letter on the lender's letterhead stating how much you are apporved for, what kind of financing it is and also ask if you have to have to have seller assist or not.

Then contact a realtor that you feel comfortable with and go house shopping.

Good Luck
Rich
sure that you are qualified to buy call Trident mortgage co at 215-627-6005
after getting qualified give me a call and I will take you from there
Dennis Conwell
Accredited buyers representative
Burkeshire Hathaway Home Services
Fox Roach Realtors
215-440-2085 Office
215-272-0360 Cell
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com