Home Buying in Mahopac>Question Details

Joseph, Other/Just Looking in Bayside, Queens, NY

where to purchase a home--mahopac or yorktown, I need to know the pros and cons of both areas?

Asked by Joseph, Bayside, Queens, NY Sat Aug 25, 2012

I am from the bronx

Answers

7
It really depends on your liking, Mahopac is a great town with a number of sports, restaurants, walking trails and Lake Mahopac for motor boating. Whereas Yorktown is a larger town which is very community minded also having a fair or activity going on there is also no train in yorktown, the closest would be croton on the hudson. There are also many nice shops and restaurants located there.Robertawasser.com Realtor with over twenty years experience.
I currently live in Mahopac and love it here. It is a much smaller town and with that I feel the community is a lot closer to one another. The schools are good and plenty of acitivities where children are concerned are offered. The same with Yorktown, however it is a much larger area with a larger town and with that said they have more shops and businesses overall. We have private garbage pick up and they have town pick up which is a big plus on their part. I believe they also have more sewer systems and we have septic tanks which again is better. However, as far as taxes go they pay more for these services but not by a whole lot. I would definitly visit both and the fairs are a great way to meet and great the locals. Good luck
Joseph, If you really would like a sense of both communities, the Mahopac Street Fair & Columbus Day Parade is Sunday Sept. 30th on Route 6 & 6N, Parade is at 2:00 pm, street fair is 11:00 to 6:00 pm. and Yorktown is having their annual streeet fair October 7th also in the center of town. I will be at the Houlihan Lawrence booth for both events, please feel free to stop by or just come and check out the fairs. Best to you,
Joseph, It really is a preference what you are looking for in a community that stand out the most to you, if you are not already working with a realtor in the area, please feel free to contact me. Northern Westchester and Putnam County are the areas that I service or if you would like information on the these towns, visit my website: http://www.gigifinan.houlihanlawrence.com
Pros and cons are all about personal preferences, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc. Therefore if unfamiliar with the areas, do take the time and revisit more than once; check out all that is important to you, then determine where your comfort level can best be reached. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
Good morning Joseph,

I've been helping HomeBuyers in New York as a mortgage professional for 23 years. Here's the advice I provide all my clients as they set out on the journey to Homeownership:

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

I used exactly this method when I purchased my first home twenty years ago. Similar to your situation, I needed to narrow my search (in Nassau County) to a specific town. Identifying a great, experienced and FULL-TIME Local Realtor made all the difference in narrowing my search.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528
Joseph, In response to the pros and cons Mahopac or Yorktown, why don't you visit both areas, I would be happy to speak with you regarding both areas as they are the main areas which I cover, feel free to log onto my website gigifinan.houlihanlawrence.com for more information regarding the towns. Gigi