Braxton Grif…, Real Estate Pro in Huntsville, AL

where do you find home inspectors?

Asked by Braxton Griffin, Huntsville, AL Sun Jul 8, 2012

Answers

14
I have always used the advice of my relator. They have always set this up for me as part of their fee.
I have several that I recommend to buyers based on the positive experience of past clients. The decision is yours and the inspector will be working for you as the buyer so you do want to be sure your are comfortable with your choice.

So your real estate agent would be a good source, friends/associates who have recently been through the process another...

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Most Real Estate firms have a professional services list to recommend inspectors, plummers, electricians, etc. to clients or anyone you may ask. A personal reference from a friend, friend of a friend or relative is also a very good source. The local chamber will also offer recommendation if available.
Hi Brax, Your best option is to do a search online. Sure Realtors will give you three names, but there are typically over 100 inspectors in any given metropolitan area. How do you know those "3" are the best? Answer is, you don't. Do your own research! Go online and look at websites, check with the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List. You are more apt to find a better qualified inspector who will be working for your best interest by going out on your own..
If you are buying, then your agent should be able to recommend 1-3 based on thier experiences. If you are a seller just wanting to get ahead of the curve and haven't selected an agent, then the yellow pages or a title company (maybe).
At a minimum, ask your agent to get the benefit of her experience dealing with many inspectors personally and firmwide.

You go through this once ---- she, many times.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Brax, as others have stated you can check the yellow pages as they are listed under the headings Home Inspection Serv and also Real Estate Inspection Serv. Other options would be to talk to a Realtor, stop by our office or any Real Estate office as most either have a list or business card holder for such. Please contact me if I can assist you in anyway.
A realtor can help you find a reliable inspector. Most have a list of inspectors that they have used in the past.
I completely agree with Tabitha Kontur. If your Realtor did not provide a list then check the Yellow Pages.
We give our buyers a list of reputable inspectors as soon as we have a contract in place. You could google home inspectors in the area.
Most Realtors have compiled a list of local inspectors and that would be your best and most reliable option. If you aren't working with a realtor then yellowpages.com or google are always an option.
Your Realtor.

Yellow Pages (or equivalent).

Services like Angie's List.

One of the groups that certifies home inspectorss. (Though the quality varies.) See, for instance: http://www.ashi.org/ or http://www.nachi.org/

Here on Trulia under "Find a Pro."

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
If you cannot locate any in the local yellow pages, try calling some local title companies. I am sure they would be happy to refer a few to you.
Your real estate agent is generally the best source for a home inspector reccomendation.