darlamay2009, Renter in Novato, CA

where can i get an honest property assessment?

Asked by darlamay2009, Novato, CA Tue Feb 18, 2014

Answers

15
Dorene Slavitz (213) 814-5238’s answer
If you fear what you are getting is dishonest, why not just hire an appraiser and pay them for their assessment
You can hire more then one and compare the findings. An appraiser has no motive to over evaluate or under.
I applaud your desire for accuracy, some homeowners would rather be told their property is worth an exorbitant amount and then are disappointed later.
What makes you think you would get a dis-honest property assessment? If you hire a licensed professional there will be standards that must be observed. ------------ Now it is an entirely different story if you already have a number in mind you believe to be true. What are the standards, observed by the professionals in your state, that your number complies with? ----------If you suspect all people to be dishonest you will find yourself surrounded by dishonest people. However, if you look for good people, they are in abundance also.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 18, 2014
The best way is to find a local Realtor that has been referred to you or one you who demonstrates the qualifications, experience and knowledge needed to give you an honest answer. I have been doing this for nearly 30 years and got into the business because I couldn't find someone to work for me. I have never forgotten what is most important, giving fair and honest advice so you can make an intelligent decision.
Simple, just ask a reputable RE professional in that neighborhood for a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA).
Greetings, Darla. As w/ most of the supplied responses to your question about obtaining an "honest" property assessment, such assessments vary depending on your specific real estate need. Moreover, additional information for said property assessment would be most beneficial to best answer your question... Is it for a possible change in title; property tax reassessment; purchase; refinancing; or resale? In most instances, all it takes is to enlist an experience real estate agent who's knowledgeable in the area where the property is located. If that is the case, then, I would recommend that you meet w/ more than one real estate agent to obtain an "honest" and balanced property assessment just as you would w/ a contractor for a work estimate. Best of all, the property assessment by a real estate agent would be free of charge. The other avenue is to hire a local appraiser, however, that would require a fee for the appraisal service. Should that be the case, a qualified real estate agent w/in the area, like myself and the others noted below, would be capable of providing you w/ a few recommended appraisers. I wish you best in your real estate endeavor. Kindly, Rod MacDougall, Bradley Real Estate - 415.608.0089 or rod@bradleyrealestate.com.
Hi Darla,
It looks like you are in Novato. As stated previously, why do you need the assessment? The answer will determine what service you should use. I am a Broker Associate with Coldwell Banker in Marin County. Feel free to contact me and I can help point you in the right direction. -Greg Corvi
Hi Darla,
I see that you live in Novato, An agent from a reputable company in your area could help you. Coldwell Banker, Bradley Real Estate, Pacific Union or Sothebys or Alain Pinel All are excellent brokerages with professional agents that could provide a market analysis of your home.
However, I notice that the question is coming from "Home Buying" which leads me to believe that you may be looking to buy a home instead. Again a good agent can help you with a purchase of a property however, the strategy of a home value can look very different as a buyer; especially if there are mulitple offers involved. To give you some idea, Currently there are 123 homes on the market in Novato; out of the 123, 62 of those homes have accepted offers. That is 50% putting Novato in a seller's market with homes going over the asking price. Something else to keep in mind with a property value as a buyer, your lender will have a professional appraiser come to assess the value of a home for loan approval. The appraiser is a neutral party who will do the analysis of the property to determine it's value for loan approval.
I hope this helps; Currently, I have a lot of buyers for Novato, I am very familiar with Novato's Market should you need some help. Feel free to call me or email me anytime. my cell: 415 260-3750 or email: lwilliamson@cbnorcal.com
Liz
Go
Darla,

Are you just wanting to know the property value or is there a particular reason that you need a value. In order to give you the proper advice, we would need a little more information. For some situations, you might need an appraisal. If you are just curious about the value or you are challenging your property tax assessment, an experienced real estate agent who knows the area can assist you with that.

Let us know if we can be of assistance in determining the value for you or referring you to an appraiser.

Mary Kay & Kathy
I would be more than happy to help you. Just send me an email.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com
408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
What many people don't understand is that assessing property depends on many factors: who needs the assessment (is it a bank making a loan or modifying one, which bank it is, is it a potential seller, or is it a potential buyer) and the experience, familiarity of the local area, the understanding of the 'market' (are sales going up or down), and the research of the individual making the assessment. The property itself will also be a factor and certain things may not be easily quantified by an assessor such as views, a home's feng shui (even if you don't believe in that sort of thing, many of the principles make sense), any unusual features, etc. so it is possible that one person may ascribe more value to a home than another. Basically, you could get ten different assessments by ten different assessors. A CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) is usually a good place to start for most people. It is usually done for free by your agent and it will include a list of comparable properties that have sold recently (potential sellers, without an agent that they trust, may want to interview several agents but should be wary of agents that come in extra high in value because they could just be trying to 'buy' the listing agreement, or too low in their assessments).
I have the same question as Annette. What makes you think some/many/most are dishonest?

On the other hand, assessments are done by your city or county. The assessor is a public employee. If you think one is being dishonest with you, report him/her.

You want an honest appraisal? Pay a licensed appraiser for one. It'll cost about $400.

Realtors don't do assessments or appraisals. A Realtor will do a CMA at no charge.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Call a local realtor and ask for a comparative market analysis. Ask to see the complete listing for the comparable sales and make sure they are truly comparable to the property in question. If you feel the analysis was in accurate, try again with a different realtor. Otherwise your option is to hire an appraiser and pay for his professional opinion as to the value of the property. That is not a terrible option since you will then have a written, professional opinion that you can share with potential buyers should a dispute arise.
First stay away from online estimates. if you want to know what the market value is, what you should as and what you may get, hire a local agent to complete a CMA or BPO. If you want teh true value. Hire a licensed appraiser,
Well to get an honest property assessment you need to do little market research, whereby you need to consult few property consultant & website which are providing thorough information about ongoing property rates. But in case if you are unable to cope with sudden monetary pressure, you can consult financial institutes to help you to overcome your requirements.
Consult/hire a local certified appraiser.