Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Marcus Swain, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

where are the most affordable places to look for a house in the Denver area? We both work in the DTC

Asked by Marcus Swain, Denver, CO Sun Jul 31, 2011

Answers

23
Mr. Swain:
In reading all the previous answers, I don't think anyone answered your specific question - 'most affordable'. The answer to your question is:
1. Northglenn
2. Thornton
3. Aurora
4. Green Valley Ranch
5 Brighton
6. Lakewood
Other areas if you're willing to go further out are Bennett, Strasburg, and parts of Castle Rock. The above are listed in order of affordability and all have homes for sale under $200k.

Good luck to you!

Tim Klein
Broker
Metro Brokers - The Realty Werks
303.973.7600
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi Marcus,

You definitely have a lot of "reading materials" below but some great answers indeed. My first question for you before responding to your question would be: What are you looking for in a home? I have a very thorough buyer consultation with all of my clients to really put everything "out on the table" and find out how I can best help if I can.

Some buyers do not have a realistic picture of what they want compared to what they can afford however there are always neighborhoods that offer something similar to another at a price point that is more affordable.

I must say that there are some great areas in Aurora-South that border Centennial that are still in Cherry Creek school district that are a great value. There are also some great pockets of Parker that are good values as well (Cottonwood).

I would love to grab a quick coffee with you guys sometime soon to chat more about what you are looking for!

In the meantime, feel free to search for anything on my website at http://www.brookehengst.com.

Brooke Hengst
REALTOR, CDPE, The Elite Team
Your Castle Real Estate
(720) 988-5952
bhengst1@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.brookehengst.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi
DTC is a great central place and there are many neighborhoods all within a 20 minute drive that would probably fit what you are looking for. A lot depends on your lifestyle, family situation, and how much you are willing to spend. Check out this property http://juliereddingtonrealestate.com/property/?property_id=d…
which is a HUD home in Cherry Creek School District for $113,000.

South Glenn is an up and coming area. But a lot will depend on what style of home you want, how much you are willing to pay etc.

Click the link below for a search to be sent to you, or give me a call and I will help you out

Julie
720 226 4168
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 31, 2011
The most affordable areas near DTC are East Centennial/South Aurora and Highlands Ranch. East Centennial/South Aurora (East Arapahoe south past E470) has newer homes, Cherry Creek Schools and the best values in town for buying a home. You can buy an upgraded home in the low $200s with an easy commute to the Tech Center.

Highlands Ranch's home prices are higher but still very affordable compared to most areas in Metro Denver. Starting prices for single family homes are around $250,000. Again, great schools, very family oriented, lots of open space, walking trails and parks.

Julie Montgomery, RE/MAX Masters, Inc., http://www.jmontgomery.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
The most affordable housing near the Denver Tech Center is in East Centennial or South Aurora. I recently sold a completely renovated home in the 80015 zip code for $199,900. The home was a "fix & flip" and had brand new windows, appliances, flooring, kitchen, baths, etc. It also had a two-car attached garage and a beautiful yard. The buyer's total monthly payment for this home, including taxes and insurance, came to $1012.78 per month.

In addition, this area feeds into the Cherry Creek School District, featuring some of the areas top-rated schools.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
I would really encourage you to talk with a realtor about all of the factors that will weigh into your choice of a neighborhood. We chose to live in Park Hill because we love the feel of an old neighborhoods with mature trees, and it was more affordable than the Washington Park area we lived before. Several of our neighbors commute to the Tech Center on a daily basis, but you may not like the drive. It all depends on your own ideas about what constitutes a "commute!"

I know others who have found lovely, affordable homes around Porter Hospital. This puts you further south, but still fairly close to the city.

Good luck, and please let me know if I can help!

Shaylisa Hurte
RE/MAX Professionals Denver
(303) 268-0610
MileHighCityLiving.com
Hi Marcus,

360dwellings.com is a fantastic resource for your DTC Real Estate search. Click on the link below and begin to filter your search results based on price, beds, baths, etc.

Best of luck with your search.
Very smart move to consider purchasing a home. My suggestion would be Close to the Light Rail system, relax on the way to the office. That said consider Platte Park where you can even walk to the light Rail station. One of the best walking neighbor hoods in Denver. Pearl street, Whole Foods Etc. and with interest rates low and a nice inventory this makes for a buyers moment. My wife is a fourth generation native of Colorado if we can help please take a minute and contact us
Thank You
Kevin
Verde Denver
Real Estate And Property Management
720-334-6181
This question does not indicate a housing bottom or rebound.

Well, congratulations on considering a home purchase! This is a very good time to be purchasing-interest rates are low and housing prices are still soft in most areas.
I previously worked in DTC and lived in reasonably close proximity to the area. As far as affordable areas to look around DTC, you have some choices such as SE Aurora, Centennial, Parker, etc. So it comes down to, what is important to you? What kind of drive time are you thinking would work for you? Do you like outdoor activities & want to be close to a park, recreational facility, etc.? Convenant controlled neighborhood or not? How many bedrooms & baths?
I would be glad to address any questions or comments you may have a you begin this process and look for the right home for yourselves.
All the best to you.

Romaine
Brokers Guild Classic
720.352.1363
realestatebyromaine@comcast.net
http://www.realestatebyromaine.net
I'll throw in a couple of different perspectives on your potential area search. Working in DTC the biggest area and issue is the commute. I've worked in the Denver Tech Center (DTC) in the past and my wife has only worked down there for two years. The two choices I like best are going West or East. If you can avoid I-25 as Martha Stewart says, "It's a good thing."

The Parker and South Aurora are the choices East. One of the biggest questions in the world for home ownership is do you want a covenant community or not? Parker has a lot of nice neighborhoods. I toured Cantebury Crossings this past week to visit a new KB Home community, very nice, it was around 300K. If you want no covenants, and better value South Aurora is great.

You never mentioned school systems so I assume that is not a big deal to you. If it is a big deal then I'd almost definitely stay East to get into the Cherry Creek school system. Although the TOP HIGH SCHOOL in the south metro area is Heritage High School in Littleton, Colorado. I wrote a blog about it on Active Rain. Sorry no link it should show up on a web search.

If schools are not that important then I'd go West. The commute so far superior. My wife and I live in Meadowbrook around Broadway and Arapahoe. We love our house and community. The commute is great because to come this way you have several arterial streets. Arapahoe and Belleview are great and Orchard, County Line, and Dry Creek are back ups or primaries are nice backups. They can be primary depending on your exact location.

The area that I've identified as "my sandbox" is South of Hampden, North of County Line, East of Sante Fe, and west of Colorado. There are all types of neighborhoods and price points that will fit your needs.

To me the biggest issue is the commute. Even with cell phones, ipods, and satellite radio I still hate being stuck in the car. The commute is my issue what is yours? Find an agent he will listen to you and understand your needs. You are buying your house not my house.
How many beds do you need? How many baths do you need? What square footage were you thinking? Then we find your bang and save the bucks.
There are many places you could go around that area depending on your price point. One I would recommend to get more 'bang for your buck' is Parker, it's only about a 10-15 Minute drive to DTC and their are loads of newer construction homes. Low crime and most of the schools are in nice newer buildings as well.
Aurora, Centennial, Lone Tree, even to Green Valley Ranch are all great options.
Call me and if I can be of help. Thanks. 720-839-2659
Rachelle Paplow
Broker Associate
Cherry Creek Properties
(303) 713-9000 Office
It depends on what your idea of affordable is, what your ideal price point for your purchase is. It also depends on what you are looking for in your new home, in terms of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, etc

I can help you get a list of the best properties that match your needs and your price range and get your set up to get new listings everyday as they come up in the MLS as well as access to homes that never hit the MLS.

Call me @ 720-296-5262 or email me at sam@sambarnesrealty.com
All pretty good answers.

Except I've got 2 questions:
What are your needs?
What are your wants?

There's a difference

Get some good advice from someone that has the answers to those questions.

720-254-5240
Marcus,
I have to agree with many of the other answers that you've gotten that Aurora is probably the best area for you to find an affordable home that is close to your work in the DTC. I've had a number of clients that said when we first started looking that they didn't want to be in Aurora for all the bad things they've heard. Where do you think they the ended up buying? Aurora. Since it has many great areas and more home for their dollar than any where else. Good Luck
I think South Aurora is one of the best bang for the buck areas near Denver. If you want some more detailed analysis based on your needs, I would be happy to talk with you and give you some more exact suggestions.
Centennial has qiute a few homes that are priced aggresively.. Do you want me to send you a list of homes for sale or rent?
Michelle Hall
Co Real Estate Group llc
Owner/Broker
Colorado's Premiere Real Estate Firrm
I'm haapyto show you all properties that match your search just link to: http://buyandsellhomesincolorado.com/OnlineSearchRequest2?op… to show
you every home you would like to see! Just call, text or email anytime! You can use my link to seatch:

http://buyand sellhomes in colorado
Michelle Hall
Coloradopropertynow@gmail.com
720-394-4620
As stated before, it depends.
Several neighborhoods in Denver might fit your needs, it would depend on what you mean by affordable, and what you are looking for (single family detached, attached, etc.) also age of the property, level of fix-up that is tolerable, etc.
In Cherry Creek Schools, there are several neighborhoods in SE Aurora that might work. Nor horribly far from the Tech Center (sort of depends on what part of the Tech Center) and some are newer homes that offer pretty good value.
Hope this helps; if you want to supply a bit more information, I am sure that you will get better, more concise answers.
Best of luck.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
Marcus,
"Affordable" means different things to different people. I live in Park Hill and there are some affordable areas here as well as some of the Denver Northeast communities between here and downtown. some of those areas are Clayton, City Park North and City Park West as well as the Five Points and Curtis Park.

Depending upon your income level, some feel that Stapleton is affordable. My primary focus lately for affrodable homes is the Green Valley Ranch area. This in my opinion is the area where you will get the most for your money in a nice Golf Course Community. There are 1500-1800 square foot homes built from the yrar 2000 - 2010 that range from $140,000-$170,000. The larger and nicer homes (some on the golf course) from 2500-4000 square feet plus large basements generally range from $200,000-$250,000 with a few up into the $300,000's. New schools, golf, recreation center, swimming pools, shopping, and easy access to the highways and 20 minutes to downtown or DTC. Let me know if I can help you with any other questions or concerns.

Robert McGuire - 303-669-1246

http://www.rmcguire.yourcastle.org
I would consider the area just north of DTC and South of Hamden. You can get a 3 bed, 2 bath, basement with great yard for under $400,000.

Tim DiBerardino
Modern Real Estate
720-206-4608
Hi Marcus,

If you want Cherry Creek schools and be close to DTC then Willow Creek is a great neighborhood between Yosemite and Quebec and Dry Creek and Cty Line Rd (about 10 min). I know of a great updated detached patio home that may still be available. It came on the market about 10 days ago.The next affordable area would be Highlands Ranch and if you don't mind a 20-30 min. commute Parker is very affordable and the homes will be newer. The closer you get to downtown Denver and the heart of DTC will be more expensive. Another thought is Littleton around C-470 and Broadway/Santa Fe. There are very nice affordable neighborhoods and the commute would be about 20 minutes but the homes were built in the 80's, so not newer.

So,those are a few ideas. Let me know if you would like me to email you specific properties so you get an idea of what is available. Just let me know your priorities, price and bedrooms/baths you want to have.

Pam Parker
Perry & Co
303-875-7117
pamparker@perryandco.com
Hi Marcus,

Pam Parker
Perry & Co
303-875-7117
pamparker@perryandco.com