Home Buying in Cape Coral>Question Details

bettyminnypi…, Home Buyer in Cape Coral, FL

when were home owners made aware of assessment taxes for sewer and water in lee county?

Asked by bettyminnypinny, Cape Coral, FL Sat Aug 3, 2013

i'm purchasing a home that is a week away from closing and the seller said they just received a bill and just found out about the assessment

Answers

11
Adolfo Diaz’s answer
Cape Coral has had a master plan for expansion that were halted due to the downturn of the market and tax revenue. Cape Coral was looking out for residents that lost 50% + of the value of their homes. The planning committee had a final public hearing is August 21st and SW 6 & 7 will be the first to receive the expansion.

Please free to email and I will be more than welcome to send you more information on this subject.

Adolfo "A.D." Diaz
Isellflorida@ymail.com
239-872-7936
Cape Coral notified folks of the upcoming assessments about a year ago. At that time it wasn't a concrete date only suggested 2013 - 2014. That's when I alerted my clients that owned properties in areas that did not have central utilities.

There is a clause in your contract regarding assessments on pg 3 of 10. Look to see if you checked line 144 or 146.

If you go through with your closing the assessments will be added to your tax bill each year. This will be approximately a $700 - $900 per year depending on lot size and if water and sewer assessments have been billed. Check with http://www.capeims.capecoral.net to see this properties total bill due or have your agent help you.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2012" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
239-464-8620
sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Web Access to MLS:
http://www.myfloridahomesearch.listingbook.com
This is helpful thank you. I am looking to purchase a home in the cape right now. Its a short sale. I just learned that the back assessments due are around 13,000.00 Is there any negotiating? Its a bank. Can you negotiate with the city? I know you can add it on to taxes but wow that seems like a lot to take on with all the other fees that have to be paid. Any insight on assessment relief?
Flag Fri Apr 25, 2014
In response to the latest comment stating "the seller was considerate to at least let you know. They didn't have to as the fees aren't due until 2014" - I say bologna!!! Sellers are required by law to disclose ANYTHING they are aware of that would materially affect the value of the property. Having a major expense such as assessments like our UEP (utility expansion project) certainly fits that criteria. Additionally, real estate agents are suppose to treat all parties honestly and disclose things they are aware of as well. Reality is the UEP has been a hot issue for years and extremely so during the economic downturn so it is known by both owners and agents and should always be disclosed to the buyer. At a local restaurant I recently met a very unhappy new resident that relocated here and learned of the UEP and fees shortly after closing. They learned about it when they got a letter in the mail shortly after closing and the UEP had never even been mentioned to them by the real estate agent they worked with. It is extremely simple...disclose, disclose, disclose and if in doubt disclose anyway to be on the safe side!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
We have had this info for the last 3 times the city tried to put the assessment thru.
The homeowner should be responsible for the assessment partially I would think. The seller was considerate to at least let you know. They did not have to as the fees are not due until 2014.
Look forward hearing from you :)
thank you for the info and terry mccarley I will be contacting thank you betty parisi
Lots of fees come into play including impact fees, septic tank abandonment, water meter installation, plumbing hook up etc...it does get pricey to say the least.
Hi!
Information on the Utility 's have been in the talk for a couple of years. I don't think that any notices have been send out until this week..
The info regarding these new assessments has been out for over a year.
SW 6 & 7 final public hearing is August 21st. There is a prepayment period, then it will be tax billed starting next year. Owners in that area just received notices over the last couple weeks.

http://www.allaroundthecape.com/
Its common knowledge and should have been disclosed prior to you signing a contract. Feel free to call me with questions at 239-707-4575