Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

maryjones, Home Buyer in Madison, AL

when picking a Real Estate Professional should I worry about my safety as I am an old lady?

Asked by maryjones, Madison, AL Fri Apr 12, 2013

Answers

5
Clearly, you do, Ms. Jones, and we're not going to tell you not to worry!

There is a Realtor® specialization called - please don't be offended - the Senior Real Estate Specialist - and Real Estate Professionals with the letters SRES after their names have taken special workshops to remind them of the needs of people over, well, my age and older.

When picking a real estate professional from the beginning, set up a meeting/interview at their workplace. From there you can ask questions to the realtor as well as ask questions to the front desk staff or the broker in charge. Remember there is nothing wrong with interviewing multiple agents to find the right one. If you're not comfortable with an agent its not the best first start of a business relationship. If you find a competent and agent you're comfortable with that is one of the best starts one could have.
Hello Mary, Buyers and Sellers of any age would benefit from interviewing more than one Realtor to find out which ones offer the services they're looking for and then who they are most comfortable with. Karen Rice ~ Keller Williams Realty Madison
Mary Jones,
Are you wanting to enter the Professional field of Real Estate? If so, I always like to leave the address of where I'm going and the number with my lead or my husband. I call before going and call when I'm leaving. You have to be careful in every day life. It's when you aren't worried, when you get into danger.
If you are asking, should you worry about picking a Real Estate Agent? No, in Alabama we are required to have background checks. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You could always have a friend accompany you if that makes you feel safe.
Julie Fronckowiak
Exit Total Realty
She means, should she venture into the field.

I am a young agent, I worry sometimes myself about whom I am alone with in a home.

HOWEVER....

If in doubt, I won't even go into the home. I will call a co-worker to come with me. There was only 1 time that I did not assist, and this was when I had a single female tenant call me to view one of my rentals.

When I pulled up, there were 2 car loads of men- so I just drove on by. Not worth the risk.