Question Details

nancyburge, Home Buyer in Honolulu County, HI

when my step mother dies, she is trying to keep me out of inheritance,and yet it was my fathers home to before he died. what can i do?

Asked by nancyburge, Honolulu County, HI Sat Nov 3, 2012

this is at 308 myrtle st half moon bay calif

Help the community by answering this question:


Your father's home is located in CA, a community property state. If your father died without a will, the default beneficiary is your step mother. If he has a will, the will would state about the disposition of the estate assets. Unless your step mother is good with paperwork, she needs to see a probate attorney to start the probate process. If your father has a living trust, the will within the living trust will direct the trustee of how to dispose of his shares of the community property assets. If the will does not have you listed as an heir with rights to the assets, you are locked out of the inheritance. Of course, you can always retain the service of a probate attorney or a real estate attorney to contest the will. Good luck and keep me posted.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2012
You need to speak with a probate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer