Home Buying in Berwyn>Question Details

Bubbles, Home Buyer in Berwyn, IL

when buyer responsible for survey and stamps /escrow is this expensive?

Asked by Bubbles, Berwyn, IL Sun Nov 14, 2010

Answers

4
When a buyer pays for these extra expenses that are usually the responsibility of the seller they can become costly. Stamps vary from city to city.

In Berwyn the town charges $10/$100 on top of what the county stamps $1.50 for every $1,000.

Add this to the cost of a survey approx. $400.00 the amounts add up.

Having a experienced Realtor will help inform you of all the costs associated with buying in the town. If you are looking for an agent please feel free to call me. I am a life time resident and would be happy to walk you through the process.
In the Chicago area the state/county stamps are $1.50/$1000. So if the home is $100,000 the state/county stamps would be approximately $150. Berwyn also charges a municipal stamp which is $10/$1000. A survey runs between $400-$450.

I would have your agent give you an idea of buyer expenses....it sound like you are looking to buy a bank owned home.

I hope this helps!
Surveys run for about $400 dollars. Stamps vary depending on where you are buying (eg. Chicago - $10.5 per each $1000 in purchase price) In most of the standard sales survey, transfer stamps (in Chicago buyer pays 50% of the stamps to move in there :) are covered by seller. In short sales/REO sales, survey is usually responsibility of the buyer. Not sure about Berwyn, but I would imagine they are somehow similar. You may want to call Village Hall to find out the exact amount.
In most cases in Illinois, seller pays for stamps and survey. Exempt from paying for stamps are the government-sponsored Freddy Mac and Fannie May. If you buy a foreclosed property, most other banks will make you pay for stamps but will pay for the survey (if you buy a single family home)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010