Home Buying in Charleston>Question Details

Sophie, Home Buyer in Charleston, SC

whats a desirable area to settle in the charleston area besides Mt. Pleasant

Asked by Sophie, Charleston, SC Sat Sep 4, 2010

Answers

16
Hi Sophie,

There are so many great areas in Charleston, it is hard to know where to begin. I think it is important to consider price range when deciding where to spend your time and energy looking for homes.

Daniel Island, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach - all these areas are fantastic areas to live in, and are going to be around in the $500,000+ range.

James Island, West Ashley - these are also nice areas to live in, and are in the $200,000+ range.

Summerville, John's Island, Goose Creek, North Charleston - These are also desirable areas with homes starting in the mid-$100,000's.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about any of these areas.

Kim Boulter
Realtor, Charleston SC
kimkboulter@gmail.com
843-640-7799
Web Reference: http://www.kimboulter.com
Hey Sophie,
The best thing about Charleston is that not only is every area diverse and unique but each area has subdivisions that are very unique as well.
Mt. Pleasant is the fifth largest municipality in South Carolina and and for several years it was one of the state's fastest growing areas, literally doubling in population size between 1990 and 2000. Mt. Pleasant is divided into many areas including the Historic Old Village, the award winning planned neighborhood of I'On, and many planned communities like Park West and Belle Hall. Each area has its own benefits and ammenities.
As of right now there are almost 900 homes for sale in Mt. Pleasant but because it is so desirable it has weathered the recent downturn in house prices better than many other areas though out South Carolina.
Because Charleston is a Coastal community Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach and Kiawah Beach are all extremely popular and some of the most desirable locations in the state.
If you are interested in being part of history there is no better location than to live in Downtown Charleston which also still has some affordable areas like Wagener Terrace near The Citadel.
John's Island, the fourth largest island on the east coast, is now one of the fastest growing areas and has become very popular because of its proximity to Charleston and affordability.
The best factor in homes keeping their value is proximity to highly regarded schools so I would do some research into the different schools in the area or if you like I could do that for you.

Just let me know how I can help.

thanks,

Josh Brinson
843-813-4554
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
Dear Sophie,

You have recieved very nice, detailed responses.

There are many nice areas to settle in the greater Charleston area. Much depends on your interests and needs.
* Distance to Work
* Near schools
* Location to interests such as the beach, golfing, shopping..etc.

What is your budget?
Search for homes on my site http://www.blogcharlestonsc.com

You will save a lot of time if you work with one Realtor who can help you determine what area best suits your needs. As you interview Reatlors, I'd love to be included.

Let me know how I can be of help to you.

Maureen
Hi, You can visit http://www.HomeFair.com and click on the city reports section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. They also have a great side by side zip code comparison feature as well.

Chris
Aside from Mount Pleasant, there are definitely a lot of good places to look into when deciding where to settle in Charleston. You may consider Daniel Island, Folly Beach, Seabrook, and James Island. I suggest that you contact a realtor which can give you a more detailed information about the area.
I love Mt. Pleasant. I live in Mt. Pleasant. The other areas that surround Mt. Pleasant are Summerville, James Island, Johns, Island, Sullivans Island, Daniel Island.. notice all the islands... :) Isle of Palms and I recently visited Edisto Island which is a little further away but very very nice. I would be glad to talk and bring you to see different area.

Debbie Knowles, GRI
843-609-8998
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
I lived in the Charleston area for over 24 yrs. now and if I had to choose based on what I know of these area's and what has impressed others, this would be my list starting with Mt. Pleasant:
1)Mt. Pleasant
2)James Island
3)West Ashley
4)John's Island
5)Summerville(Low bugs & value)
6)Goose Creek
7)North Charleston

There are other area's like Downtown Charleston, Kiawah Is., Isle of Palms, Sullivans Is., Folly Beach, etc. that I didn't include which can run into the millions that are desirable area's if this is what you are looking for?
Hope this helps, it's a good question because if you buy and then want to re-sale at a later time it's important to know what area's are most desirable for that very reason and you won't have to struggle so much to re-sale like so many others in a semi-dead market. That's why I always reccommend using a agent that going to look out for YOUR best interest, getting YOU the best deal possible, just in case the housing market drops even more so that you won't find yourself in an area that's not selling well or even worse, finding out later that you paid too much for your home which will also cause your house to sit and not sell! If we can assist just let us know.

The Reese Team
Spence & Theresa Reese
Harbourtowne RE/ Daniel Island
(843)478-3104
spencereese@yahoo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
Hi Sophie
So much depends on your particular interests and lifestyle....whether you want to be close to downtown Charleston or the beaches...etc.

I can create custom MLS reports for you, but as a sampling here is a report for a few homes for sale in John's Island:
http://ctarmls.com/CharlestonReports/ListitLib/show_report.a…

If I can be of further help let me know,

Maureen
maureen@maureencody.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 19, 2010
Hi Sophie,

Great question - and one that I get frequently. The Charleston area is both expansive and diverse. When first considering Charleston, many people focus on just one or two areas; but, quickly discover that there are quality communities across the area. I suggest that you begin by considering where you will work (if you are working) and the type of lifestyle you enjoy. Also, avoid over-generalizations. Take time to discover the unique character and personality of each area. It will be well worth your effort.

Certainly, Mount Pleasant is a wonderful community and frequently cited as one of the more popular areas. Mount Pleasant is close to beautiful beaches, great shopping, superior restaurants and historic downtown Charleston. Still, consider other areas such as James Island, Summerville, Hanahan, Goose Creek, and West Ashley - just to name a few - all of which have some great attributes. The reality is that there is no "best" area - - but there probably are a few areas more suitable for your needs than others. I can tell you with confidence that the community choices within Charleston are excellent.

For an overview of the various sections within the Charleston area, I suggest that you visit the main page of my website where I have reviewed 23 different local areas in detail: http://www.chrisdeloach.com.

I will be glad to help you refine your search to those area(s) in Charleston that are best for you. Give me a call!

Chris DeLoach, MAT, MEd, ABR, SFR, BIC - Realtor
House Plan Realty, LLC
843-654-4578 office / txt / sms
843-270-1272 cell
843-647-0239 fax
Web Reference: http://www.chrisdeloach.com
Dear Sophie,

One of the most interesting things about the Charleston area is the ability to live in many different types of communities that are all in close proximity of one another. As I explain to all my clients who are relocating, every time you cross a bridge you are in a different community with different charm and opportunities. Everyone makes a choice that fits with their lifestyle, home type, price range, commute times, need for particular types of schools, shopping opportunities, and amenities. As you would suspect, the closer you get to the beaches, the higher dollar per square foot you will likely pay. This area has been my only home and so as you can imagine, I am a little partial. I am also the former Mayor of the Town of Mount Pleasant which is where I live but I have clients that live in every part of the Charleston area.

I invite you to visit my website at http://www.woodsflowers.com where you can get additional information about this wonderful place that we lovingly call the Lowcountry. I would like to send you a relocation package that would also be helpful to you. Just let me know if you would like one!

Cheryll

Cheryll Woods-Flowers, Keller Williams Realty
843-442-2219
cflowers@woodsflowers.com
Web Reference: http://www.woodsflowers.com
Hi Sophie,

Each suburb of Charleston has its own look and feel, which is what makes Charleston so wonderful. What is it that draws you to Mt. Pleasant? For most people Mt. Pleasant is popular because of its proximity to the beach and downtown, plus there's a certain upscale beach culture you don't find elsewhere in the Lowcountry. If you already live here you may have an idea of what each part of town has to offer. I'd be happy to sit down with you and help you determine which area fits you best.

Stephanie
Carolina One Real Estate
Hi Sophie,

I live in the Summerville area and specialize in real estate here. If you are not familiar with Summerville, please come for a visit! It is an historic suburb of Charleston with charming architecture, a quaint downtown area with shopping and dining, a five-star hotel, great schools and wonderful community events. We are about a 1/2 hour from the beach, so you can get a little more for your money here than you can in the coastal communities. I will be happy to give you a tour if you would like to learn more! Good luck in your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Sophie,
There are many wonderful communities in and around the Charleston area. The first thing you need to determine your budget. Then make a list of the attributes and amenities you would like to have in your community. Don't forget to factor in your acceptable drive time to and from work, as you don't want to spend too much of your day traveling. If you have children, or are planning to you should consider what school district you'd like to be in. Knowing the answers to these questions will help narrow down the list of areas. Looking for a quality constructed home is equally as important as the right location in the home buying process. As a General Contractor and a Realtor I will lead you in the right direction. Put my expertise to work for you! You will find the answers to most of your real estate questions on my web site and enjoy using one of the most advanced MLS searches available.

Respectfully,
James Thompson
843-296-5006
jdt@scpropertypros.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
As a native of the Lowcountry, there are few places I haven't been. James Island has some great neighborhoods, both mature areas and newer subdivisions. Johns Island has some newer developments that still retain the rural feel. In West Ashley there are classic neighborhoods close to downtown and new subdivisions farther out. The selection of an area depends upon a lot of factors: your commute if working, your lifestyle, your leisure interests, proximity to good schools, etc. A professional will assist you in deciding what area best fits your family's needs.
Web Reference: http://www.DennisJoye.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
As I'm sure you realized yourself, Mt. Pleasant is a wonderful place to live. However, there are many communities/areas that are beautiful as well. Please e-mail me and let me know specifics as to what you are looking for and I will send you some information.

Welcome to Charleston!!

Michelle Millette
Coldwell Banker United
(843) 714-3098
michelle.millette@cbunited.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
There are many wonderful places. If you would like I can email you some places to look at with descriptions of each area that you might be interested in. Call or email me at your convenience.

Debbie Knowles, GRI
(843)609-8998
debbie@dezilio.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010