Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

larry, Home Buyer in Sarasota, FL

what percentage of homes in Atlanta are heated with natural gas?Is gas becoming a more popular form of energy in single family homes?

Asked by larry, Sarasota, FL Wed Oct 9, 2013

Answers

3
Hi Most do have gas heat, Please call me with questions. 404-372-7335
By JONATHAN FAHEY
AP Energy Writer
The government forecast Tuesday that most households will pay more for heat this winter. Heating oil users will catch a slight break, but still pay near-record prices to keep warm.

Prices for natural gas, electricity and propane should be higher, the primary reason that more than 90 percent of U.S. homes will incur higher heating expenses.

Natural gas users will see the biggest percentage increase after two years of historically low prices. Their heating bills should rise to an average of $679, the Energy Department said in its outlook for heating costs for the season running from October through March. That is about 13 percent higher than a year ago but still 4 percent below the average for the previous five winters.

Homes relying on electricity for heat, about 38 percent of the U.S., will likely pay about 2 percent more compared with last year.

For heating oil customers, there is good news and bad. Their average bill should drop 2 percent. But they'll still pay an average of $2,046 for the season, the second highest on record behind last year's $2,092.

Just over half of U.S. households use natural gas for heating. Many of the 38 percent of U.S. households that use electric heat live in warm regions where heating demand is not high. Only 6 percent use heating oil, but those homes tend to be in New England and New York, where winter heating needs are high.
As long as I can remember natural gas has been used in a large majority of homes in metro Atlanta. Back when we had huge gas hikes many builders started building all electric so now you can find both. Electric seems to be in homes built in the late 1990's and newer. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with your real estate needs. I have been selling real estate in metro Atlanta since 1992.