Jule, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

what is your advice regarding buying a home near the entrance to the 101 walking overpass (Holladay Ave)?

Asked by Jule, San Francisco, CA Wed May 6, 2009

(regarding crime and even highway air pollution)

Answers

3
Eileen Bermingham’s answer
Hi Jule--I represented two different sellers on Faith Street at Holladay in the past, so I've spent a fair amount of time over there. One set of clients moved to Phoenix, but the other moved from Faith to another part of Bernal because they needed a larger home. They had actually been quite happy on this east slope of Bernal. They were affected by 101 in the sense that they could hear some traffic, but were up the hill a bit. Their house didn't seem to get dirty from the exhaust.

This part of Bernal is fairly quiet. As in most areas of San Francisco, you'll get your share of random crime incidents. But none of my clients ever had any issues. They lived on a very tight-knit street, where everyone knew each other. Bernal is like that with respect to community. This location is a little more remote with respect to Cortland proximity. But it is really up to you whether you are comfortable there.
In addition, Jule, you can assume that you'll get a lot of carbon throw off from the freeway. Not only is this stuff risky to breath long term, but it creates a lot of fine dust. This stuff doesn't travel a long distance, but Holladay runs right along the freeway... I would definitely consider both of these issues.

I love Bernal Heights, though. There exists a great mix of property types and residential amenities. I think it's a wonderful neighborhood.

Hope this helps...

Take care and good luck,

Jason Chapin
McGuire Urban Bay
415-420-1143
jchapin@mcguire.com
Hi Jule,

I was just over there last Tuesday looking at properties in the area mid-day.

When I’m working with buyer clients I typically recommend that we go door to door to meet the neighbors. They have great information about how the neighborhood, positive and otherwise. If you’re not comfortable doing this then I recommend visiting the neighborhood at various times of the day to see what types of activities are occurring.

As you can tell, at this section of Bernal there is a mix of new construction, custom homes and older Vics/Edwardians which are selling/have sold at various price points.

Bay Area Air Quality Mgmt should have air quality reports available:

http://www.baaqmd.gov/

Happy to share more offline.

Best wishes,

Cheryl Bower, Realtor , GRI, ABR
Cell 415.999.3450
Zephyr Real Estate
Cheryl@cbower.com
http://www.cbower.com
Web Reference: http://www.sfbungalow.com/