Home Buying in North Valleys>Question Details

Brenda.nusta…, Home Buyer in Flagstaff, AZ

what is the weather like year round in reno,nv?

Asked by Brenda.nustart, Flagstaff, AZ Tue Jun 5, 2012

Answers

5
It is dry here. We are in a rain shadow from the Sierra Nevada Mountains. So, most of the precipitation lands on top of the mountains, and is spent by the time it reaches us. Our annual average rainfall is 7 inches a year. Last 2 years we did not even reach that amount. The temperature has a lot of variation during a day. So, in the winter it can be below freezing (rarely below 0), and warms up to about 40-50 during the day. In the summer, it can get over 100 during the day, but that also is rarely (and usually in July). But 90 degrees is common, and 95 degrees in July, cooling to about 60 degrees at night. We ;have not very nice spring weather, because it will be warm for a couple of weeks, and then the frost hits on 1 or 2 nights. It can be winter cold, and then warm, again. It is hard to count on it. But, the falls are very nice and long, sometimes lasting until November. We have to plant late, so the growing season is not as long as in some places.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
You can probably find a lot of web sites that will tell you what the average temp, rain and snowfall are in the Reno/Sparks area, but there is nothing average about Northern Nevada's weather. I have lived here for 13 years and love it, but you have to be able to go with the punches. The last few days are a great example: on Sunday the temp was in the high 80's, sunny with a nice breeze in the afternoon, Monday was pleasant in the morning, but by noon it was cloudy, windy and the temp was dropping to around the 50degree mark, with a little rain by the afternoon in the valleys and snow in the high elevations.
We are in the rain shadow of the Sierras and thus do not get a lot of precipitation. Most of our precipitation does come as snow but that can be pretty hit or miss too. Our winters can be cold and around the freezing mark but rarely do we get temps in the minus digits. Summers can be warm but again most of the time the temp wont get above 100 and if they do it is short lived. Fall for me is the most pleasant weather and we usually have a nice long Indian summer. Winter starts around November and can last until March, but don't expect it to be spring come March. Spring is probably my least favorite where it can be windy, cold and a spring snow storm is not uncommon one day and sunny and warm the next. As I have heard for many years, in Spring if you dont like the weather just wait a few minutes.
All said it is a nice place to live and I love it, but if you are a fair weather person it might not be the place for you or it might take a while to get use to it. I do know a lot of people in town from So. Cal. and they love it here. There is more to love here than the weather.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 5, 2012
Hi Brenda!

As a Nevada native, I have grown to love the weather that northern Nevada has to offer, and especially Reno. The weather in Reno can be compared to weather around cities of Arizona, but we do not reach excessive heat unlike that of the greater Arizona areas. Summers typically do not reach over 100*, and winters vary between 30-50* during the day depending on the forecast. Reno's weather is beyond unpredictable, and I can guarantee that most Renoites would agree- the last few days up here in fact would attest to that theory. Sunday was a beautiful day- hot, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Monday was cold, insanely windy, rain/hail/snow mixtures around different parts of town, and snowfall up in Tahoe. The weather fluctuates with every season. This winter was very mild with hardly any snow, where as we have some winters where the snow is overpowering and seemingly never ending!

I love the four season we have here because of the outdoor recreation we have within arms length of us in the Reno/Tahoe area. I personally believe that it is never too hot and never too cold in any of the given seasons.

I came across this website for you which compares all areas of the weather between Reno and Flagstaff. It also compares other facts between the two like population, safety, and economy. Might be good for you to take a look!

http://best-cities.findthebest.com/compare/30-831/Flagstaff-…

Best!

Patrick Winchell
Senior Loan Officer
New American Mortgage
Reno, NV
patrick.winchell@newamerican.com
Nevada's weather is very similar to Arizona's. Elevations are helpful for compare our states, Las Vegas is like Pheonix, Reno is like Prescott or Sedona, Incline Village is like Flagstaff.
Brenda,

Northern Nevada is a land of four seasons! Hot summers and cold winters. Our high desert climate is unpredictable but usually very pleasant. We have a wide variety of extremes, I've seen it below 0 and above 100. There is usually a gentle breeze every afternoon that help cool things off. Most people find the weather perfect.

Lisa Wetzel
RE/MAX Realty Affiliates
1320 Hwy 395
Gardnerville, NV 89410
775-781-5472