Home Buying in Petaluma>Question Details

coralkeyper, Renter in Brentwood, CA

what is the safest area of Petaluma, ca for a senior citizen?

Asked by coralkeyper, Brentwood, CA Sat Sep 29, 2012

Answers

4
If you are of low or moderate income, a great alternative to mobile home parks would be the Vintage Chateau apartments on MacDowell. They just opened a new building. I have friends who live there and are extremely happy. I am not in the business!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I looked at those apartments and unfortunately don't meet the income criteria. It's tricky, I'm in the middle somewhere...don't qualify for the low income and can't afford the other end of the spectrum...Merrill Gardens, etc. I need something in the middle...still looking!
Flag Sat Oct 6, 2012
If you are thinking of relocating to Petaluma, what would be safer than to be in a Senior Community with neighbors of like concerns. Many buyers, especially previous homeowners who are downsizing overlook the benefits of a "Mobile Home Park" because of the some of the negative press from the olden early days of trailer parks! However, the "Over 55" parks have a lot to offer retired or empty nesters. You would be amazed how many wonderful new luxurious manufactured homes are being built, and being in a community with others who will be happy to keep an eye open on your place while you're on vacation. Many people have several, so they can have homes in different states near family. For more information, give me a call or drop me a line! If you do want a regular home, I suggest senior developments like Oakmont in Santa Rosa, pricey, but offers a beautiful golf course and clubhouse with activities. Best, Terry Bell, CPS Real Estate, Sonoma County, CA 707-292-5712
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Terry...thanks so much for your thoughts. Actually, I'm a renter and currently live in a senior complex down south of Petaluma. Though I've only been to Petaluma once for dinner, I'm drawn to it because I'm a smaller-town senior and an artist, so hopefully I'll get to see if Petaluma is the town for me. My art requires me to do a bit of drilling, sanding etc and thus why I've been looking either for apt/duplex with a garage, or a house with a garage. The manufactured home parks I remember sat pretty close together and only carports, but maybe I ought to see if that's changed at all. I have admired Oakmont and thought that would be perfect for me if I could find a reasonable rental, which isn't easy. Thanks again, Diane
Flag Sun Sep 30, 2012
I have lived in Petaluma for over 30 years and found it to be a safe place to live. Like any other city there may be areas that attract a little more crime but for the most part you can feel safe in our town. Higher crime areas in general would usually be found close to commercial and industrial areas, on or very near busy streets, and possibly around public park and recreation areas. Any area where there is a larger gathering of people from outside the area could have higher crime statistics. As was noted in the other answer, if you have a concern you can check with the local police department. I would be happy to sit down and talk to you about the area. You can email me at baseco@sbcglobal.net or call my office at 707-775-4738.
I wish you the best in your new home search.
It's a good life
Steve
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
thanks so much for that kindness...
Flag Sat Sep 29, 2012
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
good suggestions...thanks for taking the time.
Flag Sat Sep 29, 2012