Markle, Home Buyer in 02050

what is the minimum size window for basement bedroom window?

Asked by Markle, 02050 Thu Mar 4, 2010

Answers

3
Kate Hannon’s answer
You should check with the building department to make sure there haven't been changes, but I believe this is fairly current.

An emergency egress window is required when the basement is going to be used for liveable space. No bedrooms shall be built in basements without emergency egress and sufficient light and ventilation. Sill height of window above floor: Not to exceed 44". Minimum opening area: = 5.7 sq. ft. Minimum opening height = 24" . Minimum opening width: = 24". Double hung windows used for emergency escape shall be permitted to have a net clear opening of 3.3 square ft
You should check with a licenced contractor & city inspectional services, there's also a height requirememt and other specifics as well.
Web Reference: http://www.Medfordhouse.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 4, 2010
My understanding is that in order for a room to be considered a bed room it should be at least 700 square feet and have a closet. The windows should be big enough for a firefighter with a full pack to be able to climb in. I hope that this helps