Home Buying in Texas>Question Details

Joann, Home Buyer in Canada, KY

what is the legal age to own property in Texas?

Asked by Joann, Canada, KY Fri Oct 19, 2007

Answers

6
Perry is right on this one.....you should be able to own at any age or no age (think trust or corporation) , but getting loans, signing contracts, etc is a seperate issue. Age of majority (legal age to enter contracts) in Texas is 18.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
You can own property at any age however you must have the ability to legally enter into a contract if you don;t already own it due to an inheritance or gifted to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2007
I'm not sure, but I think the answer might be a little more complicated than just 18. The contract would have to be entered into by a legal adult but the ownership should be able to go to a minor. I bought a home that was built in the early 1900s and I was only the second owner. The parents had bought the home in the names of their sons. I sure there are trust all the time for property owned by minors.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
my daughter is 13 - My ex-husband committed suicide in front of me- My daughter was the only heir- she heritage some money- due to my own foreclosure, my depression and my lack of knowledge, my own lawyer from Illinois told me not to buy it in my name.
We- (my nice and I) bought a home in cash. I did not know the legalities of Texas law. I need to know if I can still put it in my daughter's name and then put it into a trust. My nice is 19 and she is willing to transfer everything to my daughter until my daughter is able or allowed to receive it . Now or in 5 years from now. Can someone give me an advice-
You must be 18 to legally contract in Texas
http://www.fhahomeloanmortgage.com/fha-states/texas-tx.shtml
Eighteen. A minor may not legally ener into a contract in Texas, however, they may have the right to enforce an existing one. See link below.
Cindi Hagley…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA