Home Buying in Salem>Question Details

ARE, Home Buyer in Lawrence, MA

what is the difference in buying in salem, nh then massachusetts?

Asked by ARE, Lawrence, MA Wed Jul 7, 2010

Im looking into buying a home and would like to know about buying a home in salem, nh vs. lawrence, massachusetts

Answers

12
It looks like this ws an old question that got brought up again. You have probabily found a new home by now andmade your choice, but for anyone else pondering the question whether to live in MA or NH, the KEY DIFFERENCES are NO Income tax and NO sales taxes. you often get larger lots and can get a bigger house for less money than just over the border.
If you would like to avoid names like "Mass hole" and "Taxachusetts" then NH is your new home.
NH is filled with some of the finest people I know and they have a genuine sense of family and pride. Salem NH is alive with business and near just about everything. If I had to choose a state it would be NH over Massachusetts. I urge you to do your homework on the schools, amenities, police activity, and be sure that the area you move to is what your looking for. I guess in the end you need to determine what you want in a new hometown and double check to be sure you have it. Bay state of Granite state, due diligence is key to your success.

Good Luck

If you ever need a NH home inspection - give me a call !!

Jamin M Jones
New Hampshire Home Inspector
NH Lic#280
http://www.inspectorjmj.weebly.com
inspectorjmj@gmail.com
Mobile: 978-675-7597
If you buy in NH no one will say you live in TAX-a-chusettes.

A plus or minus? Not sure.

You just have to look at costs including taxes and commuting costs next to purchasing costs. The see which saves you more money and has better amenities that you seek be it social services or free space.

I found this site by accident, but I saw this question and it intrigued me.

I moved from MA to Salem, NH about 11 years ago. I worked in MA at the time, and I still do.
So, yes I pay MA income tax on my wages, and I pay the "higher" NH property taxes.

But the property tax difference in relative. My tax RATE is certainly higher than it would be in MA, but the property is generally assesed lower for the same given square footage, lot size , etc. than it would be in almost any town or city in MA.

I indeed got way more house and land for my money in NH. My tax rate IS higher than it would be in MA, but I could not afford this house or this land in MA. And even if I could afford to buy it, the taxes would be the same because they think it is WORTH more in MA.....IT IS NOT>

I will never move back to MA.
I have a wonderful family here now, wonderful neighbors, the schools are great, I only go to MA to work and take their money back up here to grow my family, and my wonderful property.
In most cases you can get more house for your money in NH. I moved up to NH from MA 3 years ago and it's like night and day. We enjoy having more property and a larger home for the same amount of money then we would have paid in MA. My children love the schools (typically the schools are very good and the class sizes are smaller).
There is no sales tax in NH, and if you live in NH and work in NH then you do not pay state income tax. I would suggest that you look at homes in both NH and MA and weigh out the differences. Make a wish list and see what state or town best fits your ideal living. Please call me at (978) 697-3331. I would love to.show you around.
Brenda Brophy
Century 21 North Shore, Windham, NH
Everything starts with what's important to you. Schools, taxes, commute are all of relative importance to you personally, and how those items (and others) shake out helps to make the recommendation. There are some great points in this thread, but share with us where you are in your life, and what's going to be and is important to you, and you'll find the responses more relevant.
I am an area native and this is just my opinion on your question.

Salem public schools are more desirable than Lawrence public schools.

http://www.greatschools.org/massachusetts/lawrence/public/hi…

http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?c=school&…

Salem, NH has higher property taxes than Lawrence, but MA has a state income tax. If you work in MA and live in NH you will probably end up paying higher taxes overall because you will be paying the higher property taxes and still will have to pay MA income taxes. If you work in NH you may want to consider living in NH so you can avoid paying MA income taxes. Consult with a CPA if you have specific income tax related questions.

Your work commute from either city would probably be similar since they are very close in proximity. Both cities are convenient to major highways. Commuting south on RT 93 in the morning can be brutal. Commuting north is not so bad and they are in the process of expanding RT 93 from two lanes to three lanes in Southern NH.

Lawrence has an abundance of 2 and 3 story multi-family homes and they can be packed in rather tightly. Single family homes are more common in Salem.

If you are considering Salem and Lawrence you may also want to consider Methuen, Haverhill, and even North Andover and Andover. If you are interested in condos, there are a lot of affordable condos in Andover right now and Andover has better schools. If you are looking for single family homes there are some affordable homes Methuen and Haverhill as well as Salem.

Feel free to contact me if you would like some home listings or market area reports. Good luck with your decision!

Chris Lefebvre
eXp Realty
Licensed in MA and NH
Web Reference: http://teamlefebvre.net
I too moved from Massachusetts to NH some years ago. Property taxes are a little higher in NH, but homes are cheaper and there's no sales or income tax, so it more than works itself out. Politics are a little cleaner in NH, and there are fewer state and federal employees here, and the employment scene is healthier, unemployment is lower than Mass and always lower than the USA.. Generally your dollar goes farther in NH, and I would say the schools are better. Most of your neighbors will also have these same opinions because they will likely all be former Mass-wholes.

Could this be helpful?

Dane Hahn
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another. If unfamiliar with either area, do visit the neighborhood(s) several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
I can answer your question personally - I moved to Salem NH over 10 years ago and I just love it here. Everything is close by - from malls and restaurants to tons of lakes and park areas. Sometimes New Hampshire is only thought of for having high property taxes, but there are pros and cons for every location.

Generally homes in Lawrence are set on smaller lots - approx .10 acres, and many homes are older in age, built around 1900. Homes in Salem are usually on larger lots - .25 to .50 acres on average, and tend to be younger in age (1930-1950) . Property taxes will be higher, but buyers tend to feel that they get more for their money in terms of both home and land. Also, there is no income tax or sales tax in New Hampshire, so that is a nice feature.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you !

Lissa Deminie
Prudential Verani Realty
Salem, NH
978-457-0590
http://www.LissaSells.net
Well it depends on what you are looking for..job commute, property taxes , state tax , school district , location, price etc. There are some good sites which can help you determine what suites you the best. If you have any further ques do not hesitate to contact me.
Pooja Gupta
603-233-9651
poojagupta@kw.com
Are: A great site that you can ask this question and get consumer advice is http://www.city-data.com. If you have children and want to check the schools out for each area, this non-profit site is great for that: http://www.greatschools.net
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz