Home Buying in Yardley>Question Details

Dcanp, Home Buyer in Yardley, PA

what is the commute like to NYC from Yardley? My family is considering moving to Yardley from NY but would keep our jobs in NYC.

Asked by Dcanp, Yardley, PA Sat Feb 20, 2010

Answers

10
The Home Seeker’s answer
I really recommend trying out the commute for yourself. If you do not get an express train from Trenton, the trip can be quite arduous. In addition, where in Manhattan do you work? If your office is in Midtown, the commute shouldn't be too bad. However, if you work down in the financial district, you must also factor in the cost of the subway from Penn Station downtown or the Path Train from Newark to the World Trade Center.
75 minutes from Yardley to Manhattan by car. But with really bad traffic it'll obviously be much worse.
Stay in New York! We don't need any more NY city transplants!
You can catch the train at Trenton like others suggested, or go one stop further down the road to Hamilton (about 5 minutes further) which is a much nicer station. Most of my clients tend to do this rather than Trenton. I highly suggest purchasing in Yardley Boro, so that you will be even closer to the border of NJ and can cut down further on your commute time.
Hi, Dcanp. I'm in the same situation and we have decided to move forward with Yardley. I guess it all really depends on where you're coming from and what you want. We wanted a larger home with more property in a more peaceful setting and the Yardley area was better than anything else we saw in NJ, CT, or NY. We're currently living in NYC so it will be a huge adjustment for us both in commuting time and cost. I tried it out last week and it's a good hour and forty-five minutes to 2 hours door-to-door each way but the majority is on NJ Transit. If your'e disciplined, you can get work done to or from the city and it gives you time to decompress. But as Railman said below, it's not inexpensive. If your company has transit checks or allows you to take it pre-tax, it will definitely help. We weighed all of the pros and cons and the pros won out.

Sorry for the long response - hope that helps.
Thanks for the heads up Railman. That's a lot of money for commute... I will really take this into consideration.
The commute is not as easy as the real estate agents are leading you to believe. I have been commuting from Yardley to Midtown for the last 6 years. You are definitely going to have factor the fare increase NJ Transit is imposing on May 1st. Going from $352 per month to $440 per month. That is roughly $1056 more a year. Not to mention the parking in Trenton cost around 115$ a month and constant delays on the Northeast Corridor. The good thing is that Trenton is the first stop so you always get a sit. In the the end you only truely have one day to enjoy life per week. Everything is a choice. If your company pays for Amtrak go that route. Much more exspensive. Yardley is beautiful but the Township and School taxes are out of hand for what you get in return.
The commute depends on where in NYC you work as well what train you take. There are 2 lines that operate from Trenton to NYC, New Jersey Transit and Amtrak. Check out the train schedules and prices and factor that into the cost of real estate and taxes. My husband has been commuting daily for NYC for 20 years and I know many others who do as well. I can answer many detailed questions so do not hesitate to contact me directly at j.kamens@cbhearthside.com. There is a huge advantage in real estate prices in Bucks County compared to the New York Metro area. I emphasize the time factor in getting to work, The reality is a minimum of one and a half hours door to door. If you can handle that then this could be a great area for you.
I have clients who work in NYC and live in Yardley. They take the train from Trenton and have been doing it for years. There are people in many parts of Bucks County who work in NYC. Depending on your price range you can find homes in Yardley, Newtown,Langhorne or Bensalem and commute to NYC. Our prices are much more affordable than homes in NY.
This is a good time to buy because the prices are low and rates are low and if you are a first time buyer you can take advantage of the tax credit go to http://www.irs.gov for details.
We have agency laws in Pa so please read about how buyer agency works. The listing agent represents the seller. You can hire the same agent to represent you and in that case it would be dual agency.
An agent will give you a consumer notice at the initial meeting. It is not a contract and explains Agency. A good buyer agent can help you negotiate a good price and terms.
The term of the contract is negotiable and you can sign a one day or one week contract to see if you are satisfied with the agent.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Dcanp

Yardely is an easy commute into the city. One train from Trenton to Midtown. I did the commute for 16 years and many people do it still. There were many people in the office with similar or worse commutes from long Island and parts of the Bronx.
Give us a call if you want to discuss details or search the yardley Newtown area.

Fran and Mark Reddidng
Prudential Fox Roach
215-208-7169 Cell
215-321-3307 Direct
http://www.franandmark.com
Web Reference: http://www.franandmark.com