Home Buying in Summerlin>Question Details

Dallas, Home Buyer in Summerlin, Las Vegas,...

what is the best way to check out an agent?

Asked by Dallas, Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV Sat Sep 10, 2011

Answers

133
Hello Dallas,

One way is to google them! Try it, google me :)

You'll find great reviews, and some new up and coming activities from me. I'm very determined to help my clients! I'm also very active with the community, and I pay attention to what my clients say.

You can find my Trulia Resume here: http://www.trulia.com/profile/mfleysher/resume/

Some Trulia Recommendations here: http://www.trulia.com/profile/mfleysher/recommendation/

I'm great at communicating with my clients, I'm young and energetic, and... I'm here for you! I will happily provide current and past clients for references! Feel free to contact me via e-mail or even pick up the phone and call me... any time.

Cheers!

Mark Fleysher, 702-534-4446
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
Hello Dallas.

Having been involved in Real Estate for nearly all of my life, I can tell you in my honest opinion that I agree with those who mention referrals and recommendations from Friends, Family and Co-workers. When professionals talk about how they measure the "SUCCESS" of an agent, they look at different criteria then the actual buyer or seller. If you are a BUYER, the number of closings the agent had in the last month is not an indication of the quality of service that agent will deliver to you. But attention to detail, ability to find suitable homes based on the criteria you provide, Follow up, Market Knowledge, Negotiation Skills...these are all basic skills any Realtor should possess, but unfortunately many do not. It is important to find an agent who is a Full Time/Career Realtor who will be available to you when you need them. Best of luck to you.

Charlene Weston (Cobelo)
Smith and Associates
charlenetamparealtor@yahoo.com
3 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
@David

You said "Completed SOLDS is the only way to measure the success of a real estate agent. Everything else is PR"

While I agree that experience is critical I don't think an agents volume of sales can be an indicator of how helpful that agent will be to Dallas or any other home buyer.

I just read a good article touching on this very subject:
http://lowes.inman.com/newsletter/2011/10/14/news/156858

To borrow a thought from the article: McDonald's sells more hamburgers than anyone else, but if you're looking for the best hamburger and the best service you probably want to look at more than how many Billions they've served.
Meet the agent in person. If the agent comes to your home, that is even better. The agent is showing that he/she is able to find time for you, the client. Also, simply ask neighbors and friends in your neighborhood about the agent.
Allways ask for a list of testimonials with phone numbers that you can call. Also check the agent's track record, get a list of sold properties and compare the asking vs selling price. Also feel free to contact their broker & local MLS board.
Web Reference: http://www.vitotucson.com
Steer clear of pushy salespeople.
Try to act coy. Don't him catch you looking. I'd recommend a pair of Rayban aviators. And if he's good, I mean real good, he'll approach you. That's called predator instinct. Only the best realtor's possess this unteachable trait.
Referrals tell a lot about and agent's character, work ethic and performance. I would start by asking co-workers, family and/or friends who they know and used and see what recommendations you get. Word of mouth is still the best positive/negative advertising any business or professional can receive. Once you have established a few contacts, and this is very important: *Meet with them*, or at the very least, have a phone conversation, and if you like what you hear, again: *Meet with them*. Don't be lazy about it and send off an email and expect to learn about the agent through a few typed words.

Good agents interview the client just as much as the client interviews them. You may want the moon for under 100K, if they can't deliver, a good agent will tell you so upfront, and will discuss with you an alternative. The first meeting establishes the relationship and sets the standard from that point forward. Many buyers and sellers have unrealistic expectations, and sometimes it is because they are not completely aware as to what is going on in the market whether good or bad. It is the agent's job to educate you and keep you involved and up to date on the current market trends. You do not want a "yes man/woman." Although it may seem helpful and accommodating, it can actually hinder you from the ultimate goal...buying a home.

One last point I have to bring up to all the other posters, and this is just my opinion. I don't believe that having a "staff" makes for a better agent. I don't believe that if an agent doesn't "answer the phone" they are a bad agent, as long as the call is returned promptly. I don't believe that "numbers" make one agent better than another. Without going into detail, numbers can be easily misinterpreted.
Any of the agents that you are considering I always say give them all a call on their cell phone and see how many voice mails you talk to because they don't answer. That will give you an idea on how working with them will be.
Saying you should go with an agent for a single factor, like "they have more deals closed" is ridiculous. Ultimately, that says every person is the same and has the same needs and expectations.

Should everyone buy a Hyundai because they are the most sold car today?? Do you drive a Hyundai?

Should everyone buy in 89131 because it's one of the most sold zip codes? Do you live in 89131?

I agree with almost everyone in this post; it's a variety of factors that connect clients and real estate professionals. It's the social connection, the friend's positive experience, the agent's portfolio, the agent's spoken languages, the agent's experience and specialty (e.g., Sue Tonic focuses on short sales, and will close more short sales than me or you), the exposure the agent provides to certain targeted markets, the agent's resources, the agent's adaptation to new technologies, and much more.

There's no one factor that is right or wrong, everyone is different, and everyone connects on different levels and factors.

And, we live in a free market so that we can choose what we want, not what we're told; we can make our own decisions based on our own criteria.
I'd suggest looking at some folks in our "Find a Pro" directory and reading their reviews - see the link below.

Additionally, asking local friends and family who has successfully helped them in the past is traditionally what most folks do. Good luck!
Every Agent is checked out for you before they are ever Licensed. If you are looking for someone who's
just starting, they would be more ideal to work with. They are usually more patient and are more up to date
regarding changes in the Laws, Rules and Regulations. The Real Estate Commission doesn't just give
Licenses out, you have to earn them. You can always check to make sure they are Licensed by visiting
the State's Real Estate Commission website. Whether the Agent has sold or listed homes before, doesn't mean that they are the best fit for a particular person. We all as new Agents have to start somewhere. We can all be hired and then fired if we are not working up to your standards. If you are looking for a Licensed,
Patient, Hardworking, Dedicated Realtor in my area (BR,LA) and surrounding areas , please give me a call.
Cynthia Robertson, Realtor
Gardner Realtors BR
(985) 516-0467
I think everyone here has valid points. You do need to find someone who picks up the phone when you call. I personally know agents who have closed 100s of deals in the last six months but they are all reo listings and they do not answer their phones. They would be the wrong agent for most buyers. I also know agents who have not closed a deal in 6 months but always answer their phones. I think it boils down to finding an agent who closes deals who you are comfortable with. Personally, I deal almost exclusively with investors. I communicate very well with those investors but I probably would not be the best agent for a person who is buying a home to live in it. So it can't be all about the hard numbers, it is a mix. Also, just to clarify, I do close more than 1 deal a month.

Jeffrey Sklar
Broker and Property Manager
Southern Nevada Property Management
702-522-6764
My favorite way, scope them out at an Open House. Watch how they interact with not just you but others. If they just sit there and don't engage you, you can bet they will probably not be helpful in addressing your needs whether you are buying of selling. Ask them questions while you are there - how did they get the listing, what do they like about the home, what is the neighborhood like, where is the nearest ______(insert restaurant or retail store). The more you ask the more you will find out how much they know about not just he property but about the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 6, 2012
The best way to choose an agent is to interview them. Ask for references, have questions specific to your needs prepared, review their marketing & experience. The best Realtor for you is the one you feel can sell your home. Just be sure not to go with an agent just because they'll cut their commission or list at the highest price - go with a salesperson who has the skills to do the job.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 26, 2012
When you want to begin looking for a home, you will need to find a Realtor. First you should ask friends, relatives, or co-workers for a recommendation. Have them describe their experience with the agent and ask why they are recommending that person. You want to choose someone that you feel comfortable in working with.

It is not as important to find a Realtor who has sold the most homes, has the most experience or works for the largest and most well-known company as it is to find someone that is professional. You want an agent that will listen to you, uses ethical conduct, and knows the market.

You can also attend open houses and meet real estate agents. See how they interact with you and answer your questions. Pay attention to how they show the home. Take notes and collect business cards. Then you can compare the agents you saw.

Look at web sites of Realtors or real estate agents. Read any testimonials they have. Call them up and ask questions about their experience and how they work with buyers. Get a feel for them and what they can do for you.

You also want an agent that will work within your schedule. Most of the time it needs to be someone who works as an agent full-time. They are available days, nights, and weekends. Not all agents work the same way. Find one that you are comfortable with. Trust your instincts.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 13, 2012
I'm with Vito - read testimonials, ask for references and speak to them. It is one thing to hear high praise from the agent herself, far different - and more valuable and credible - to hear from someone who has had direct experience working with her.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 10, 2012
Get to know your prospective agent - interview a min of 3 that have at least:
1. a cell phone
2. a web site
3. full time ? Is real estate their career?
4. references
and follow up with a couple of calls and see how long it takes to have them return your call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 5, 2012
Dallas,
Referrals and testimonials should do the trick!

Leo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
Ask yourself if you're hiring a firm or an individual who will work earnestly and intelligently on your behalf. A national brand is no assurance that you'll get a knowledgeable agent.

Look for someone who knows your market, knows all the issues that can crop up in a home purchase and, most importantly, communicates well with you. People have all matter of styles. If the person you interview doesn't listen to your stated needs, then you probably need to go to the next agent.

Interview several Realtors from different agencies. Big brand doesn't always translate to big service. Make sure you talk with some individuals at independent agencies who come well recommended.

Best to you,
SuZ
PML
of Longmont, CO
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 28, 2011
Great Question! I've attached a link to a blog I wrote on this just the other day! It's got all the questions you want to ask when choosing an agent to work with. I hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 26, 2011
I am a firm believer that the best agent is one that you connect with personally. Every agent is licensed and possesses some basic level of knowledge.

Within my own practice, I've done incredibly well with one client, they then refer someone to me, and it doesn't go as well.

Buying a home is an incredibly personal, and emotional process. I recommend going out with an agent to see a few homes in order to 'check them out.' You might equate it to a first date. There's no way to really check out a potential spouse other than spending a llittle time with the person.

The agent you want to work with is experienced, but not so busy that you spend all your time working with their assistants. The best agent for you is someone with whom you can communicate, and who really listens to what you need.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 16, 2011
Hi Cynthia, you must be new! Welcome.

You are absolutely right that every licensed real estate professional is pre-screened and monitored, but all agents are required to take continued education. And the actual rate of people who renew their license after the first year is actually low.

And, I do agree that new agents generally have a lot of time (as they are not busy with clients or stuck in some routine). And, it's also important to some extent that the client and agent connect on a social level.

However, knowing the laws and understanding real estate practices are very different. Understanding your clients needs, knowing how to present strong offers and negotiate, and actually completing a transaction comes with experience... not knowledge of the laws. New agents are generally required to shadow experienced agents for quite some time before taking on their own transactions.

It's like a kid learning how to swim... they can think that they know how to because they can stroke their arms and kick their legs, and they can tell people they know how to swim, but until they are in that water, they really can't swim.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Reviews and recommendations are all good, but there's nothing like simply asking an agent to show you how many transactions they've closed in the past 6 or 12 months. This information is readily available to any agent through their MLS system and can be printed out very quickly usually in a simple spreadsheet format.

If they won't produce some form of evidence to the number of transactions they've successfully closed, it's because their embarrassed to let you see it. (What does this tell you?)

I have always maintained you should not consider doing business with anyone who isn't closing at least one transaction a month at a minimum. Closed transaction are the only real indicator of how active the agent your considering is, and how well they negotiate. While referrals and recommendations speak more to the agents character. I'd be as wary of an agent who closes 40 transaction a year with no referrals as I would of one who has lots of nice comments written about them but only closed 6 transaction in the past year.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Hi Dallas,

My motto has always been "trust your gut". Your gut never lies. Meet a few potential realtors at their office, see how you feel, and then check out the agent on the internet. You can also call Brokers of firms and ask them for a track record of the agent you are interested in.

Our realtor population in Las Vegas has shrunk in half. The agents that have been in the business for over 5 years, and are still standing know what they are doing. The weak have been weeded out. Thats great news for people like you!

If you would like to check out my office, it would be my pleasure to introduce you to my firm, my Broker, and the track records of my production and our company production.

Good luck! Diane Varney 702.401.0307
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
I wouldn't rely too much on testimonials on their website (thanks mom). You can check with the Division of Real Estate to see if they have had disciplinary action taken, but otherwise, ask your friends if they've worked with someone they like. Interview more than one Agent if you can and work with one who makes you feel comfortable .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
Hi Dallas,

More often than not it boils down to chemistry between you and the agent. You need to be able to work with and trust that your agent is working hard for you. In my opinion you should interview a few agents and ask them questions about how they conduct their business. Are they a fulltime agent? Do they have a strong marketing plan if you are a seller, or a good listener if you are a buyer? Understanding a buyers needs is essential in helping find the right home. If you are an investor you might ask the agent to find you homes which, will give you the best ROI and see what their response is.

Feel free to give me a call for consultatio/interview. I appreciate the opportunity.

Brian Mannasmith
REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Wardley RE
702-335-5335
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
Look at her eyes, and then when she turns, take a quick look (don't be noticeable about it) and allow your eyes to peruse the rest of her lines.

It's best if you have mirrored sun-glasses so that you can't be caught.

(no leering allowed).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Everybody can tell you they are the best, I believe you should interview them first; pick three or four and see for yourself. Try calling them and asking them different questions and see how they answer, sometimes a phone call would be sufficient.
Call me at 702-684-7000 and talk to me personally and if you decide to deal with me, you will be 200% satisified. I will help you with your closing costs.

Luke
I would call a few and interview them. You can usually get a good feel for someone after talking to them for a little while.

Especially if the agent in question is from Texas but has lived in Vegas for over 8 years. You'd get the best of both worlds...hint hint!

Just throwing that out there.

I think you should start with an over the phone interview. It should then be followed up with an in-person meeting at a public place so the two of you can determine if it would be a good match up and whether the agent can really service your needs.
The best way to check out an agent is simply by testimonials from previous clients they represented., In addition, years in the business, knowledge, experience, simply by having a one on one consultation by meeting an agent as well. It's ok to interview 3 agents and ask for referances...after all, you are hiring the agent to represent you in a real estate transaction. Pricing is everything, if an agent walks in your home with an already prepared CMA without viewing the home first - my advice, that is not a valued CMA with an accurate price, move onto the next, Many agents like to "outbid" their competition by adjusting home market values higher then what they are already worth. So here is another good hint - first step, ask three agents to come into your home to provide you a CMA first (not a drive-by or information available on the web). Following your review of those CMA's and their comps (within 6 months and at least within a 2 mile radious as well), then pick the agent with referances/testimonials that are real.
Take an interview of the agent...
I love the idea of going to open houses and observing the agents. 99% of communication is nonverbal, so take a look at their body language and demeanor—it should be a reflection of what you desire in an agent. I'll be hosting an open house this Sunday at 2328 Sterling Heights in Summerlin, come check me out!
Web Reference: http://www.michaelcoxen.com
Dallas,
Interview agents to find the one that best fits your needs. Be sure to ask about their track record and stress what is most important to you. The agent will most likley be also interviewing you to see if they want to work with you.
Stalking seems to work.

In all seriousness have your agent you want to hire answer these questions found here. http://hounddogrealestate.com/about-hound-dog/how-do-you-fin…
Dallas,

Besides the fact that you should hire a qualified Realtor, you need to get a good vibe from an agent that you are able to partner with and look up to him/her for advice on one of the largest financial decision you will make in your life. Although general qualification, references and experience are few required qualities your agent needs to have, you need to simply feel comfortable with their work style and be able to trust them along the way.

Good Luck,
Take 20 minutes to sit down with him/her. You will have a decent feel about the agent in this amount of time. Be sure to ask them to bring information about themselves.
Ask them for a resume, recommendations with past clients names and numbers AND ask them for their MLS history printed directly from the MLS!!!
Ask someone you know who has recently bought or sold a home. If you don't know, check Angies List if you have that in your area, If you don't know a Realtor in your area, but you DO know a Realtor in another area, ask that Realtor to get a referral in the area you want. Checking internet may be a start, but you may be getting the ones that are just computer savvy and not necessarily real estate or client savvy. Ask for recommendations. Meet them and interview them for the position of being your Realtor. You, remember, are hiring them to serve you! Call if you need a referral to a good, experienced agent in your area who is known for good service! Grace Colette, Carpenter Realtors. 317-513-8687 gowithgrace@realtor.com
There are numerous ways to find out who would be the best agent for you. All you need is a computer and a mouse.

Go to trulia.com. Trulia is one of the premiere sources to find a local agent that could fit your needs. Look at the reviews of the agent. Are they positive? How many people have reviewed the agent? Do the reviews look legit?

Most agents can provide the basic functions you'd need to buy or sell a house. Only a few go above and beyond. Find out who they are!
Call a local title office and ask who they love to deal with. They know who closes transcations, who is swift, knows the stuff.....
You can usually find any agent you need on google and from there they usually will have several websites to locate them at such as Trulia, Zillow ect. I would also ask people you know for refferals and last but not least interveiw the agent you are considering to make sure you can work together.
Google the agents name and phone phone number... make sure they have a good internet presence. Ask the agent about the code of ethics....Ask for references....
Referrals are good, Dallas. But your search shouldn't stop there.

Experience means a lot in this business - especially now when so many investors and home buyers want excellent value when they buy. I learned from the best and I worked for the best. I've learned home design, construction and sales from the likes of Richmond American Homes and DR Horton. I got a close up look at the home building industry when I first started out working for Daystar here in Longmont.

A face-to-face meeting can tell you a lot. You can see from my office wall that I am an accomplished sales manager. My knowledge of the local market and home building is apparent when we talk. And you should feel at ease when talking with me. I show an interest in your needs and you can tell.

Do the homework. Check with the state to find excessive complaints. Then interview several agents.

Best of luck there in Las Vegas.

Suz
I feel the best way to find a agent is to find a agent that truly has a local area knowledge and expertise, for example living in the near neighborhood that you want to live. That agent should be well informed about that market. Expertise is what you are looking for along with a personality match. If your selecting a agent in an area you have family and friends, getting their opinions is the best option.
Good morning,
I think the best way to check out an agent is to call them. If they answer their phone you're off to a good start. If they don't answer their phone, see how long it takes them to call you back or if they call you back. Then, of course you will want to interview them. Check out web sites and the Nevada Real Estate Division to see how many complaints they may have. I think it's important to be able to contact your agent at a time that is convenient for you. If your agent dosen't answer their phone or return your phone calls they're not the agent for you.
I think that a great way to start the process of finding the right agent is to get a referral from a friend. That is a good and healthy starting point. From there you could interview them and then check them out online in sites such as Yelp and the department of Real Estate, there are so many agents that are good in and interview but honestly they are jerks. Get an agent that feels right to you. Check their experience, resume, and see how well they follow up.
Web Reference: http://www.omarmurillo.com
I personally think the best way to find a great agent is to call them and interview them just as you would if you were hiring an employee. Ask about their years of experience, credentials, if they have any designations and just how those designations can benefit you. Do they hold a brokers license or agent license? Ask to see a list of their education courses they have taken. Are they taking just the required minimum courses or do they go above and beyond to gain more education? Compare marketing plans between agents. Ask the agent to provide referrals from past clients. If you have received referrals from friends and family that is great but you should still interview them to see if they fit your needs.
Contact several agents. Ask a lot of questions. Get a feel for who knows the market. Ask about their experience with your particular deal. If you know people in the area ask for a referral. Read reviews for the agent if they are available. Try to use an agent that specializes in what it is you are trying to do.
1 2 3