Home Buying in Wicker Park>Question Details

Harry, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

what is the average selling price per square foot for a single family home in Wicker Park?

Asked by Harry, Chicago, IL Wed Jan 5, 2011

Answers

5
Roughly $275/square foot.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 5, 2011
Averages are pretty useless. Each property is different. You cant group some of these houses together. If your looking for an accurate price for a property, you should have your agent draw you up a CMA. Id be happy to help.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
mlaricy@americorpre.com
708-250-2696
Hi Harry,

Your question can best be answered if you told us not only the type of home, which you stated is a SF, but more importantly specific details about what you're looking for, i.e. number of bedrooms & baths, garage or not, if yes how many cars or is car port ok, square footage you want as a minimum, age of property, etc...

These details really help to determine a "real" number/average.

I would recommend you find a buyers agent. Once you relay all of the necessary information (your needs, wants, likes, must haves or not) he/she can best inform/educate you. A buyers agent, by the way, is at no charge to you.

Interview a few buyers agents. Start with the ones that responded right here on Trulia, myself included.

Good luck to you and if I can be of further service please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Simply click on my profile.
Price per square foot is more relevant when you are building new. That is just a way that home builders quote their price, and to give you an idea of their quality finishes and features. Comparables recently sold is a much better way to find out if you're getting a good deal.

A good agent will help give a full analysis detail for detail. Some homes may have higher end finishes, quality construction materials, roof decks, or other desirable features that have nothing to do with sqft.
I did not do the math as someone else already did, but that number can be very misleading and borderline irrelivant depending on what house you are looking at. Houses can range from 300K or less to 2M in that area. It does no good to average all of them. You need to pick out the ones that are most similar to the one you like, but even that can be misleading because most houses do not show the SF on the listing and if they do it often is padded on the high side.
There are other ways to determine what price to offer or to determine value.