Home Buying in Morris Plains>Question Details

sheldondusty, Other/Just Looking in

what is the average number of houses people look at before buying?

Asked by sheldondusty, Mon Dec 6, 2010

Answers

9
Hi, This depends greatly on the buyers expectations and homes available in their range. I conduct buyer counseling sessions were we really focus on the buyers lifestyle, needs, and wants. Many times we have found a home in 4 showings. Then there are the occassional buyers that take up to a year. I will devote all my time and effort to a serious buyer no matter how long it takes. On another note, if I feel they are being very unrealistic it's my job to get them to understand whats available to them. There is no magic number of homes, it could be the very first home you look at that wins you over. Many buyers tend to get caught up in "there will always be something better", so they never decide because of this. If you are serious about buying a home and find one that meets your needs and makes you happy then go for it! :o)

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 24, 2011
As many as it takes to find the perfect home. If I have to show 20 or 50 properties, whatever it takes to make the buyer happy !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 24, 2011
That is a great question! Certainly it will vary from buyer to buyer - but generally in a buyer's market, buyers tend to look at more properties feeling less urgency to act and more inclined to weigh options carefully. My sense is between 10-20 on average. I found a stat of 15 as an average on the HUD website, here's the link:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/buying/buyhm.cfm

What I find very interesting is how the dynamic changes with market conditions but also how the popularity of the internet among buyers has altered the process. Today's buyers do a great deal of their initial searching online, so that when they enlist the support of an agent, they tend to be pretty far along in the sales cycle. As a result I recognize that online buyers are close to ready, and the number of home we see together may be lower than in the past. Why? Because they have already "seen" many homes on line and are ready to really hone in on real contenders.

So it may take months and many homes - or it just may take days and only several. My recommendation is to align yourself with really good resources, tap their knowledge and expertise, and trust your own gut. Don't be afraid to act when you find "your home", whether it happens early on or after a long process. Patience is a quality that I think is worth putting on your "must have" list when you select an agent, just in case it takes a little while to find your home.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
It really depends on what the buyer is looking is looking for. Many buyers have already done thier own research on line and are very savvy about the market. I worked with a couple who did just that for about a month, then when they had already driven by the home, we looked inside, they bought it. It was the 4th home they looked at.

On the other side of the coin, I have clients who I met 3 years ago, who are on again - off again buyers. Why do I stick with them? They are a lovely couple and really do want to purchase in the area we have been looking. They want to retire close to SF and are well qualified to do so. They allowed me to get them pre-approved and we are very close.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
Fortunately, or unfortunately, each buyer is different--some many need to see only a few, while others lots, therefore not sure an average number can be given.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
It depends on buyers time frame.Some start looking for a house months before they want to move and have a lot of time to look while others are busy people , know exactly what they want and do most of the research on the internet. Also if it is a couple buying and both have similar tastes it takes less time.
Great question! There really isn't an average. Stats show that people are looking online some 6 months prior to putting in an offer. Depends on what your circumstances are, and when you need to be there. You can eliminate alot from just going online to see homes and gather info on rooms, sizes, style. Once you narrow down your key factors, I would say that you should plan on a week to go out and see as many homes as possible! Look a little above your price range to assure you have seen any homes that may have a price adjustment soon. Seeing too much can cause "paralysis by analysis"!! Search http://www.SearchNJHomesNOW.com to get a good start on whats out there, and I'd be happy to help you when you're ready :) - Lynn
It varies but the average in my experience is 20-25 homes. I have had buyers find the right home after seeing only 5-6 and others who need to see many more. I am just finishing up with a relocation buyer who went out to visit homes twice checking out two distinct areas within Morris County and the last home they saw on the second time out was the home we wrote an offer on. PS, it was accepted.

Pat, Agent Mountain Lakes, NJ
http://www.patanddodi.com
Web Reference: http://patanddodi.com
Ha ha, unfortunately it's a lot higher than it used to be!