Home Buying in Sarasota>Question Details

ncfishback, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

what is the BEST FAMILY CENTERED area in florida with good schools? we are looking to open a child/ family centered business and are moving

Asked by ncfishback, Chicago, IL Thu Mar 21, 2013

from Chicago! we would like to be closer to my family in st. petes beach/ redington. so anything within 45 min would be ideal. as with any city, im aware there are good and bad parts. we've been reccomended Parrish, but im afraid its not established enough as there are a lot of new developments arising. the sinkholes are scary, and it seems as they have hit the tampa, hillsbourogh and pinnellas county worst. (this is where we were originally looking.)Any advice is appreciated!

Answers

12
ncfishback’s answer
thanks for all the advice.. perhaps i need to reword this question as it seems i have caused some confusion?? and just for clarification, i am not looking for someone to be dicriminatory or give me any information on race, gays, or single professional females...i get the silly laws and how you cant disclose any information like that, legally. i am asking for general advice on economic levels and sinkholes. i will repost a question.
You might consider the NWF Panhandle area of Destin-Niceville-Santa Rosa Beach. Very family friendly, lots of young families due to three military bases in close proximity. Gorgeous white beaches, great shopping. Okaloosa County boasts one of the BEST school systems in the state of Florida.

Let me know if you would like more information. I moved here from Pennsylvania, and I love it here!

Myke Triebold, GRI, LMC, SFR, ABR
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
Is it family friendly for families with parents of the same gender? How about African Americans?
Flag Fri Mar 22, 2013
To Mike Triebold:

Is the NW FL panhandle very African-American friendly? How about gay friendly? How about single professional females?

Do you see how and why this law was crafted, and why we cannot answer it?

I would ask Bill Eckler the same thing. "There's no shortage of wonderful, safe family friendly areas in Sarasota". Is there then a shortage of safe, gay friendly areas? How about for African Americans?
From Chicago,
A broad guestion with a lot of potential answers. Sarasota has many good schools and good areas but as others have said we can't say this is good and this is bad. I can send to you listings that can give you ideas as to the quility of the areas for which you are looking. Please send to me you requiremnets as to price and size of home and commerical property that you will need and I will send them to you to help you decide on Sarasota.
Bill Collier, crs. gri.
Colldwell Banker
Billcolllier22@comcast.net
941-504-8652

All the legal jargon talked about by other realtors is true. But we can offer suggestions for homes you may like. Please give me a call and I would be happy to discuss options with you. I have a few in mind.

Susan

Ron and Susan Noce
Key Realty
Mobile: 941-518-3954
Email: sue@ronnoce.com
Here is a link to maps of sink hole incidents throughout various counties in Florida. As you will see, a sink hole developing is very unlikely in Sarasota or Manatee counties, both within 45 minutes of St. Pete beach area.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/galleries/sinkholes/index.p…

In Florida we have school choice. So, no matter which school district you are slated for, you can request a move. If it is not approved you can request a "hardship" move. The Florida education system is very good but at times parents prefer a different school system and Florida allows for that. Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/

In Florida we also have a grading system based on yearly testing of students. It is the FCAT. You can see where various schools rank here:

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/schoolrank.aspx

Please let me know if you have other questions. Having two school age children who attend public schools I have first hand knowledge on the Florida education system and may be able to provide further guidance.

BRIAN A. MCGREEVY
Broker/Owner, REALTOR, MBA, GRI, ABR, SRES, RRS, AHWD
Five Year Winner - Five Star Award- Best in Client Satisfaction
Sarasota Home Realty
2100 Constitution Boulevard
Sarasota, FL 34231

E-mail: SarasotaReal@gmail.com
Phone: (941) 544-6763 FAX: (941) 866-7588
It would depend on your price range and criteria. Sarasota has a lot to offer families. Sarasota County Schools are very good. Here is their web site: http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/

What type of child/family centered business are you planning to start? Most businesses require a license. Here is the link to Florida Department of Children and Families: http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/childcare/training.shtml

It is a good idea to do your research and then make a visit to the locations of interest to see what they are like before making a move. Best of luck to you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/
There is no shortage of wonderful safe family locations in Florida but I wouldn't overlook the Sarasota area. It truly has a quality of life that keeps people active and content.

We would be happy to help with additional information. Feel free to contact us.

Broker Associate

941-408-5363
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
GRI, Top Producer, Five-Star Agent
From Chicago...
If you are interested in starting a business within a 45 minute trek of St. Pete...then I would be delighted to help you locate a real estate professional educated in business/commercial real estate to help you locate the property you desire. A large part of my business is helping clients locate a real estate professional that is most knowledgeable in the area in which they are relocating or doing business. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

As the others have stated it is against Federal Law --The Fair Housing Act to discriminate and Real Estate agents are required to show all properties that meet the clients requirements.

Kind regards,

Rhonda Masotta
Pebble Pointe Realty
Direct: 941-504-4349
Email: rhondalifestyles@comcast.net
Sarasota County
here is the law that David is referring to--In my answer I am referring to a geographical area and the quality of a school system, not limiting that area to ANY discriminatory practice.

The Fair Housing Act states, in the sale and rental of housing: No one (Realtors or property owners) may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

Refuse to rent or sell housing
Refuse to negotiate for housing
Make housing unavailable
Deny a dwelling
Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
Provide different housing services or facilities
Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap. This prohibition against discriminatory advertising applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act.

Just to clarify.

Myke Triebold, GRI LMC, ABR, SFR
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
Haven't seen any sinkholes in the Ft Myers area. I love living here. Great school system, even have Florida Gulf Coast University, plus the beaches, etc.... Plus we are more affordable than many areas.
Let me know if I can help.
Marge Bennett
RE/MAX Realty Group
239-560-4159
Marge@MargeBennett.com
http://www.MargeBennett.com
The Fair Housing Act prevents Realtors from answering any questions that relate to giving advice regarding housing based on familial status, race, etc.

In fact, I just blogged about this exact issue yesterday:

http://homesinsarasota.blogspot.com/2013/03/fair-housing-law.html

Any Realtor who offers suggestions for housing based on familial status is breaking real estate law. Realtors are only able to offer advice based on actual property attributes.

David Barr, Broker Associate
Allison James Estates & Homes
homesinsarasota.blogspot.com
@sarasota_homes