Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Dclarke74, Renter in

what is some advice for home buyers interviewing agents in chicago?

Asked by Dclarke74, Mon Aug 20, 2012

Answers

18
D,

We often recommend that buyers visit "open houses" not as much for seeing the property but as an information gathering venture on various area agents. Seeing how an individual interacts with the public and thinks on their feet can go a long way in clearing a path to select the right agent.

It's advisable also to have a series of questions that take the agent out of their confort zone and also demonstrate a working appreciation of the local market. A question I like is, Outside you and your company's listings what is the absolute best buy in the area. A good agent will be able to provide this information easily.

While many wil say that the best avenue for selecting an agent is via the referral of a friend or relative, it's a fact that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It's always best to come to your own conclusion based on your individual personal criteria.

Best of luck,

Before hiring any real estate agent, it’s essential to interview them. Make sure they are licensed and have relevant year of experience in the concerned field. But that doesn’ not mean that freshly licensed agents aren't valuable. Interview them for the marketing plan or strategy they will follow to meet your needs. Ask them for any references from previous employers. Do also ask them for document preview that you will have to be sign in future. And while asking there charge never asks that whether are you negotiable as real estate fees are negotiable.
http://teamcrminc.com/
Excellent question. I've attached a link below to one of the most popular blogs I've posted here on Trulia that goes into detail as to what you should be looking for in an agent. I hope you find the advice within helpful.

I wish you all the best and Happy House Hunting!
Choose someone that is reccommended by a friend,colleague or lender. The lenders know who works well with clients. Let me know if I might be able to help. 312-307-2787 NMLS#230092.
I suggest going with an agent such as Paco Aramburu... he is a very good agent and works hard for his clients.

You want an agent who is in it for your best interests, even if you decide not to buy and rent for a year they are still in contact with to keep focus on your goal when you are ready. Also, consult a very good mortgage broker so you know exactly what you can afford and what your monthly costs should be.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate | Visionary

Innovative Property Consultants Team | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
I think it's important to make sure that the agent is someone who is trustworthy and is knowledgeable. As long as they are going to be looking out for your best interest and know the market, you will be working with someone you can trust!

Simple. Ask your prospect agent what HE/SHE will do for YOU.

As your agent, this is what I do: provide you with the most current and relevant information specific to the neighborhoods you are interested in; offer advice and insight to help you make the best decision; provide you with relevant sales information and help you interpret the data; handle the details of the
transaction through closing, including seller disclosures and paperwork; provide you with resources, i.e. lenders, inspectors, attorneys, etc..; and use my negotiations skills to get you the best deal.

If you find these attibutes helpful please feel free to call me. As a buyer my services to you are at no charge.

Are they familiar with the area, are they full time, do they have any past client referals. A well rounded agent will be knowledgeable about the financing, the search process, the market value, and the negotiation process. This should be a fun process - find someone you can mesh with.
First, you should interview the agents in person. Compatibility between client and agent is key to a smooth transaction, especially for a buyer. You will be spending alot of time with this person and you want to ensure that you are on the same page. Next, ask the agent about the particular neighborhoods you like. You will want someone with intimate knowledge of the area. As a buyer, maybe the most important quality you are looking for are refined negotiation skills. Ask the agent questions about commissions and how they approach each deal to get a sense of this.
That is difficult particulaly if you are a first time buyer who does not know much about the priocess or anything else related to a sale. Most agents can BS you about anything.
Yes they should know the area you are interested in yet you will not know if they do until you start working with them.
Yes they should be experienced, but that does not mean too much.
Yes, you should get a good 'feel' about them, but that takes working with them for a bit of time.
You can always switch agents anytime you want.
You might start by looking at their web site, but you also might speak with friends/family/co workers and ask for referrals.
Hi Paco,
Interviewing an agent is a very important step in the process. You can start by asking friends, family members & co-workers for names of agents they have had good experiences with. Then look online for reviews other have posted, from there you will narrow down who you want to contact. Good Luck with your search!
Should You Pay Your Pushy Agent For A House You Can’t Afford In The Wrong Neighborhood?

Check my blog and look out for the: 9 Secrets To A Hassle-Free Home Of Your Own.

What to ask, how to prepare yourself for all the eventualities (and they are some) that may arise, etc.

I always interview my clients 1st and go over what is going to happen at every step of their purchase.

You can go to http://www.windycitydigs.com or email me at paco@jamesonsir.com or call me at: 773 865-5678.

Good for you on comparing and being informed!
In addition to finding out the areas they are familiar with you should also ask them how much of their commission they share with you in your price range. You should also try to get a sense of how responsive they are by calling them several times at different times of the day. Ask them what hours and days of the week they work. Some agents take days off and don't work past a certain time.

And try to get a sense of how smart they are. This business is as much about finding out information as it is about knowing information. In fact, being resourceful is more important than being knowledgeable.

If you are looking at a high rise ask them to show you an example of a valuation analysis they've done for another high rise - or that one.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
the agent is your representitive and should have expereince, time and good /easy contact with you throughout the process.
Here are a couple of questions to consider:

-What do you specialize in?

-What neighborhoods are you most familiar with?

-What designations do you have?

-What advise can you give me as a (blank) buyer?

Best of Luck,
Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
Find out what their pricing strategy will be to sell your home and make sure it ties into your goals. Make sure they take quality pictures for marketing. Also make sure that you are comfortable with their ability to handle show requests and discuss their expectations on showing times, notice and condition of the home. Selling a home = price it right + make sure it shows great + get someone in the front door when they want to see it. Entering a home in the MLS correctly will get it basically everywhere it needs to be to sell.

Good luck with the home sale and let me know if my team can help!

Erik Sachs, CDPE
RpV Realty LLC
cell 773/368-5515
email esachs@rpvinc.com

Erik Sachs, CDPE
RpV Realty LLC
cell 773/368-5515
email esachs@rpvinc.com
Make sure they know the area and are knowledgable on the buildings.

Make sure they arent pushy and are just trying to get a sale.

Make sure they are available and full time workers.

Mostly, make sure you mesh with them. Its supposed to be a fun process!