Home Buying in Napa>Question Details

chrisandmarco, Other/Just Looking in Napa, CA

what is reasonable to add contingency for well and septic in a land purchase?

Asked by chrisandmarco, Napa, CA Wed Sep 26, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Napa

Answers

3
You can can add a contingency on how well the current well/septic are operable.

Examples:
-If you need a well that produces xx GPM for your home and/or vineyard needs, you can pay to have it tested.
-If you need to check the quality of the water, you can have it tested.
-If you need to be sure the septic is operable, you can have it tested.

These are reasonable contingencies you should check. I agree with Al Sovey that it usually takes 2-3 weeks to have all the tests completed and the results back to you.
Add a contingency period that gives you time to check these items out ( by a professional ) , usually 17 to 21 days which can be extended if there seem to be issues that need further investigation , depending on your needs for the property. Call for more details if needed, as I do handle country properties. Regards Al Sovey Heritage SIR 707-337-0896
Chris,

It's complex -- a lot depends on whether or not there is a house currently, what you plan do with the property in the future, etc. But the general answer is yes you will always be checking out the well and septic. Email me privately if you want additional information.

--Rob