Nycgal, Other/Just Looking in Bruning, NE

what is a "deeded backyard"?

Asked by Nycgal, Bruning, NE Tue Feb 9, 2010

I am looking at a townhouse that says "deeded backyard" which I thought meant that it was shared with the attached townhouse next door. But I have seen some listings that include "private deeded yard" which confuses me. Help!

Answers

5
Hi Nycgal,

Hope you are well. If in doubt, ask for additional documents such as a copy of the master deed and by laws where it states that the backyard is indeed deeded to the townhome that you are interested in. Private yard and deeded yard does not have the same meaning. Private yard, has a limited common element use and deeded yard is yours solely.

Best of Luck!

Pam McAuley
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
(201) 320-0268 Mobile
(201)795-5200 ext 320 Office
Email:PMcAuley@remax.net
http://www.HudsonNJHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010

A deeded backyard means the yard is NOT common, or shared. It is deeded(attached) to the property and therefore is owned and transferred along with the property. A "private deeded backyard" and "deeded backyard" is the same thing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris Amberg
Weichert Realtors
Exchange Place Office
Efax: 201-221-8129
Email: camberg@weichert.com
http://www.6thBoroughRealEstate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
A deeded backyard is as it says "a backyard or piece of land" that is part of the property of a building, usually a condominium building. If there is a condo, generally on the ground floor and attached to or adjacent to
the backyard with access to same, it can be attached to or deeded to that condominium unit or possibly another. It simply means that it is attached to and/or made part of the deed of a particular unit or units. It is
yours, legally, to have and to use. It can also be sold as part of the condo it is attached to.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010

If your condo or townhouse has a deeded backyard, this means the yard is owned by the unit that it is deeded to. This means you own the yard as it is listed on the deed when you take ownership of the property. In most cases, deeded backyard means you have exclusive access to the yard.

If you have any specific questions about a property, feel free to give me a call or drop me an e-mail.

Kind regards,
Jason O'Neill
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken, NJ
Phone: 201-305-0195
Fax: 201-549-7300
Get your free market snapshot
http://www.homeinsight.com/Widget/default.asp?TRSFO5S66LBM
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 9, 2010
Nycgal.........well, you already know from the other responses that what is "deeded" to you, you own, and is not considered to be part of the "common " grounds shared by all.

With a deeded backyard, as mentioned, you actually own it, and may make use of it.....that's the good news!!

However..............just know that there still may be restrictions on how it is used..........for example,...rules regarding the use of barbeque grills or placing any kind of structure on it (ie - a hot tub). Anything you might want to do with the land will be specifically listed in the bylaws of the association. ( Bylaws, among other things, are a list of community rules for - they also list whose responsibility it is to maintain certain items).

Check to see if the association is responsible for maintaining the "deeded" yard - as you might be responsible for the lawn care, or even a deck or patio if it exists.
I have seen townhome complexes where the association took care of the front lawn maintenance, but not the rear yard...in my complex, they take care of decks, but not patios! It can vary.

Every assocation handles things differently, so be sure to take a look at the community bylaws in advance of buying, or at least ask these questions ahead of time, so you have a clear picture of what is specified.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com