Home Buying in Bridgton>Question Details

Becky, Other/Just Looking in Bridgton, ME

what does it take to be a first time home buyer?

Asked by Becky, Bridgton, ME Sun Aug 29, 2010

Answers

5
For financing purposes to qualify as a first time home buyer for most programs you need to have NOT owned a home for the past 3 years.
Becky,

It can depend on what program you're going for.

Some have income vs. family member guidelines (Neighborhood Stabilization Programs), low income ratio's, standard/conventional guidelines, etc. Not always the 3 year rule unless your going for tax credits.

My best advice would be to go under "Find a Pro" and discuss your situation with a local Realtor in your area. They would be able to guide you through the exciting adventure of being a first time home buyer!
Web Reference: http://www.weberhomes.info
The qualification for "first-time home buyer" status, is that you have not owned a home in the past 3 years.
Dale has pretty much nailed it. The only thing that I would add is that it sometimes takes quite a bit of patience!
With reasonable credit and a stable income there are many programs available for first-time buyers. Additionally, with current real estate prices and historically low interest rates many first-time buyers that I am working with are getting into homeownership for less per month then what they were once paying in rent.