Home Buying in Redding>Question Details

Frog, Other/Just Looking in Redding, CA

what does it mean to be red tagged?

Asked by Frog, Redding, CA Sun Jan 16, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi--Red Tagged means that the house is not livalbe in its current condition. If you are looking at a house that is for sale it would have to be a cash purchase and then you would have to deal with the city in order to make the house livable. Some are in bad enough condition that they really aren't fixable and have to be torn down. Be very cautious if you are thinking of purchasing a house that has been Red Tagged.

Let me know if you'd like information on a specific house.

Lauri Gibson
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 16, 2011
Hello ,yes can you provide info about this property,
2558 Seashore Ave, Salton city CA 92274
Thanks Edward e-mail southmarshalllandscaping@gmail.com
Flag Tue Aug 20, 2013
First off, everyone here is correct. They require working with the city directly to remove the violation and it makes it very difficult to get a loan on it.


That is the most important thing I can tell you. If you see a home with a red-tag on the front door 99% of the time you need city permission to enter or you will be arrested. I have never heard of a "RED-TAG" for a fence, that is usually a city violation. With that said, every city is unique and has it's own policies.

For example, We are closing a property for one at 6052 Newlin Avenue, Whittier, CA 90601. To enter the property you must need a letter from the inspector and the inspector notified the police not to arrest you during our scheduled visit. Every situation is different but you should always check with the city first.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 8, 2015
Do not misinform people. There is more to the topic.

"Red-tagged" does NOT mean it is not livable or inhabitable. There is a wide array of problems that can get your property or structure Red-tagged. One as minor as a fence that is built a foot too high.

The tag will contain information dealing with the date of the inspection, the inspector’s identification, and a brief comment on the problem. The red tagged is also recorded on your Title, if the Red-tag got posted on the property and somehow got taken down.

Your first move as a buyer or agent is to speak directly to the government agency in charge of the property. EXAMPLE:
Santa Cruz County Code Compliance, Planning Department
701 Ocean Street, 4th Floor
Santa Cruz, California 95060
(831) 454-3252
(831) 454-3522 for San Lorenzo Valley

Each building department has a list of these Code Compliance requirements.
Q. Where can I find the Santa Cruz County Code Compliance?
A. You will find the County Code here: http://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/County_Code.html

When selling a house you need to notify buyers that a red tag exists because Lenders normally don't want to lend on a "red-tagged" property unless the issue is remedied before close of escrow. The red-tagged will be “expunged” from the title for a fee. However, there are lenders that have loan products that can be used when a red–tag exists on a subject property.

The Lender to talk to about this is:
Don Campagna
Senior Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
Office: 408-559-9860, ext 19
Cell: 408-483-2995
Fax: 877-345-9148
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 20, 2011
Another point worth mentioning is that buying a red-tagged home has it’s risks, but the greatest of these is to proceed without a full knowledge of the situation.

A prudent approach, before you sign a purchase contract, would be to visit the city/county building department and to discuss the situation and possible options about the subject property. Find out all you can and make sure you get clarification of their policy toward properties of this kind. For example, if it's a property that needs to be permitted, ask the building official about an as-built permit. Find out how much the permit process might cost and what the chances are of obtaining approval for the building. I can make myself available to visit the city's building department with you.

You’ll also need a list of defective conditions likely to be cited by the building department. Our recommendations would also be for you to hire an experienced home inspector for an evaluation of the building, we can help with that as well. - Chris, 530-510-0810
Web Reference: http://shastaliving.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 25, 2011
"Red-tagged" usually means the city or county has noted a problem with the property or structure. It could be something easy, difficult, expensive or impossible to remedy. Your first move is to speak directly to the government agency in charge of the property. Proceed with caution and get your own thorough inspections. Lenders normally don't want to lend on a "red-tagged" property unless the issue is remedied before close of escrow.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 17, 2011
It would be a good idea to visit the city or county and find out what the existing violations are.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer