Home Buying in Claremont>Question Details

David, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

what do you think the upside is to stone canyon preserve in claremont?

Asked by David, Los Angeles, CA Fri May 23, 2008

if I am able to buy a 5000 sq ft house for 1.2 mil or a 4000 sq ft for 1mil or less? thanks

Debbie Lee’s answer
The stone canyon preserve is a verry nice area. Please don't limit yourself to that area there are many beautiful gated areas within 15 miles of Claremont. One is The Country in Diamond Bar. Many Celeb.s and ball players live in the area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2008
Hi David:

Stone Canyon Preserve is a beautiful area of Claremont and since according to CNN Money.com Claremont is the 5th best city to live in I think you might have it all. You are close enough to the 210 to have access to LA, Orange County, Palm Springs and other areas that might be of interest to you. And you are in the hill far enough away from the crowds that you can have your own little paradise. As far as the size and price of the home, that will have to be up to your tastes and family needs and wants. What will make you comfortable. You will have much more for your money as far as newness, design and land than you would be able to find in other areas of LA.

Take time to eat at some of the wonderful restaurants, walk and shop in the Village and see if the feel of the community fits you and your family. Go to the City Council Meetings and Chamber Mixers to see if the people you meet are your kind of people. Many times it is not what you can afford, but where you will be most comfortable. That is something that you and your family need to decide for yourselves.

Good luck and make decisions with information.

Diana 909-945-5763
Hi David,

To answer your question, the upside to Stone Canyon, aside from the beauty of the location is the ability to purchase a brand spankin' new home in an area that just doesn't have a whole lot of new construction going on.

Claremont is a very well established community and as such, it does not have a lot of property left for new first time development. Also, because of the nature of the community it can be challenging to work with the planning department if you want to construct your own dream home. It is no worse than working with any other city's planning folks but if you choose to select your home from one of the Stone Canyon properties then you could get the best of both worlds - a beautiful new home without the headache of having to work with the city yourself.

As for the size difference, it really depends upon the layout of the home and your personal desires as to which one you choose. I have been in some properties up there that were in the 4000 SF range and felt HUGE and others that were 5000+ but hid their size well. For my money, especially because I will be paying property taxes for years after the purchase, I might opt for the smaller, lower priced home if it was laid out better for my needs.

It is also true that if you go talk to the builder with your own Realtor in tow we can usually get you a better deal on your home than if you go in alone. Choosing to consider these homes when the builder is in their final phase of construction can indeed be a wise move. In order for the builder to reap the rewards of their efforts and access the money they have already earned they must sell every single property they have built. So, you can imagine that when they get down to one or two homes left, they will do just about anything to get those homes sold.

You are usually looking at the former models which can also mean that the home you choose may come with additional upgrades, an allotment for even more upgrades and other financial incentives to entice the buyer to act now.

Plus, you get the Claremont School district (which whether you choose to utilize it or not is a very desirabe feature), the unspoiled beauty of the nature trails around Johnson's Creek, the convenience of the Metrolink station to get you back to LA with ease, easy access to freeways, shopping, dining and cultural events and the opportunity to live in the city that was rated as #5 in the Nation and #1 in the State by CNN Money as one of the best places to live.

As your local Claremont expert (and a 6+ year resident married to a lifetime resident) I am uniquely qualified to assist you should you wish to explore purchasing one of the Stone Canyon Preserve homes or any other here in my fair city.

Please feel free to give me a call or drop me a line if you have any additional questions or if I can be of assistance.

Take care and have a wonderful day!

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, IVPG (909) 837-8922
Web Reference: http://Route66Living.com
Well David, that is one of the most beautiful areas in Claremont. I think the location is certainly one of the upsides of this community. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a house that is high up by the foothills and out in nature, then that would be the place for you. I have known many people to purchase there. Centex homes are one of the best builders out there. I bought a house from them a while ago and was very happy with the quality of work.

As far as a 5000 square foot house for 1.2 million or a 4000 square foot house for 1 million of less, it all depends on what you like and what you get from the builder for those prices. I know there are only a few homes remaining at Stone Canyon Preserve. Many builders are having a hard time getting rid of their last houses so you can negotiate with them. If you want an agent to help you get a really great deal, let me know. I can try to help you if you have not already registered up there. I would have to go with you to sign up and certainly can help negotiate a better price for you. Let me know if I can help you with that. If not, good luck, Claremont is a wonderful place to live!
Joan Patterson, B.A., A.S.P., G.R.I., Realtor
8250 White Oak Avenue, Ste 102
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730