Burrpenick, Other/Just Looking in Florida

what constitutes a 'showing'?

Asked by Burrpenick, Florida Fri Jul 22, 2011

I simply replied to an MLS ad (on the internet) with a question and the listing agent answer it with a reply. Does an email sent to an MLS ad that is shown on the internet constitute a 'showing' from the listing agent. I was interested in the house but was planning to deal directly with the OWNER after the listing was expired

Answers

6
Wow.......I was happy to get that many responses so quickly. I do appreciate it!

A little more info may be helpful here. I am interested in buying this property directly from the owner in order to SAVE MONEY. I am also well experienced with real estate transactions and home ownership. I am also a a do it yourself type guy that usually repairs things around the house himself- or at least knows when NOT TO try and how to hire a pro at a reasonable cost.

As far as the MLS cost to the lister.........well I do understand that there are costs involved to be in business but since the MLS is out there for anyone to access I really do not feel too guilty if I was able to buy the property w/o going through the listing agent.

Thanks, George
An online contact (question/reply) does not constitute a 'showing' with the listing agent, nor does it set up a client/agent relationship.

if you'd prefer to wait and deal directly with the owner after the listing expires, you're certainly entitled to do so. However, you run the risk of the property actually "selling" instead of expiring.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Maybe this analogy will be helpful:
If you had an agreement with your neighbor to spend money on advertising for his car, educate the potential buyers of the car,offer them dozens of internet portals to view photos that you took of that car and learned everything there was to know about the car and the market for that car in order to attract a potential client for that car -- then you procured the ready willing and able buyer of that car through one of your many avenues of advertising -- AND your agreement with your neighbor simply said that you earned your fee as long as you procured a ready willing and able buyer, and many buyers even contacted you with some questions prior to making an offer... well, do you think you should be paid something, even if 75 buyers (hypothetically) waited until the day after your agreement expired and your neighbor sold the car 'on his own'?
'Procuring cause' is more appropriately the question. The agent's effort, energies, and monies 'caused the procurement' of the buyer
A Showing is when you set up an appointment to meet with the agent at the house you wish to see, they will have arranged for you to be allowed to walk through the home, for the agent to "show" the house to you! This is the only thing a showing is! Not a virtual tour on line or stuff sent by email! Actually deal with another Realtor, tell them you want to show them the house, this way the listing agent has to split the commission!
Hello Burrpenick,
Just contacting the listing agent for further information does not consitute a showing.

Do you know the owner personally? There is really no way of knowing when the listing will expire, and many times a homeowner will continue a listing after it expires, or sometimes re-list with another agency.

Your best bet is to contact a buyers agent and go and see the home and work with them. Doing it on your own, unless you are experienced in the real estate buying and selling contingencies/laws, can be a hassle and you will pay more in legal fees in the end to make sure you are protected with your offer and process. The same is true for the owner. Most homeowners are not savvy enough to navigate the sale of their home and make sure they are protected without an agent or real estate lawyer.

Good luck with your home search.
So, You have seen and replied to an Ad,
and you have contacted the Listing Agent
you are not stisfied?

Why have you not contacted your own Buyer's Agent and let him arrange for a SHOWING?

A SHOWING is you going to the house to look at it.
Realtors and Clients don't really care about SHOWINGS! we don't get paid for sjowing a house. It doesn't put a feather in our cap. We are looking for OFFERS!

Going directly to the OWNER will not exclude his Listing Agent, it could just complicate your life.

Good luck and may GOD bless