Home Buying in Gardner>Question Details

Anaep, Home Buyer in Gardner, MA

what can i do to address being declined for a fha loan due to a poorly done appraisal?

Asked by Anaep, Gardner, MA Sat Dec 11, 2010

I was approved for an FHA loan but the appraisal for a home I had plan to close on within 1 week were substanstially lower than the asking price and now I am told that I am unable to purchase the house but I feel as if the research in order to get the appraisal was done poorly. Can anyone give me any information or direct me to somebody who can help? Any further information would be appreciated.

Answers

1
Marybeth Mills Muldowney’s answer
Hi you are not alone unfortunately, I do not know where your intended home is located but it may be that your home is located within a declining market area. We have seen this impact. First I would sugges that you speak to your lender and as you have paid for this appraisal request a copy- once you have the information on the comparisons which were compiled then do your own homework with the assistance of your Realtor or real estate agent you are employing to represent you in this transaction. A knowledgeable agent will be able to determine if there were other circumstances which diminished your property value which the lender may take into consideration. I am told that when it comes to FHA property appraisals that the appraisal follows the property and is assigned a case number so no use trying to locate another lender, they will see the information so if you are still interested in the property and the seller is not willing to renegotiate to the appraised value then it is best to try and resolve this appraisal by providing accurate information. Unfortunately a number of appraisals are being conducted by appraisers who are appropriate in their own markets not the market where the appraisal is being conducted. Do not be fearful to work with your agent/Realtor and determine the validity of the comps used in this transaction and determine if they are using a factor if the property is located in a decreasing market.
Should you have any other questions I would be most happy to assist you or your Realtor.
You can reach me at my corporate email address of MaryBeth@TradeWindsRealtyGroup.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 11, 2010