Home Buying in Charleston>Question Details

Sandra Carro…, Real Estate Pro in Port Saint Joe, FL

what areas in charleston sc are closest to the beach?

Asked by Sandra Carroll Sizemore, Port Saint Joe, FL Thu Sep 6, 2012

im looking to move to sc but dont know what towns to look in i want to be very close to a beach area

Answers

12
Hi Sandra, I know this is an older question, but you can't be the only one asking it.

1.) Sullivan's Island http://jamesschiller.com/properties/sullivans-island-sc-home…

2.) Isle of Palms (includes Wild Dunes) - http://jamesschiller.com/listings-mls/isle-of-palms-sc-homes…

3.) Folly Beach - http://jamesschiller.com/listings-mls/folly-beach-sc-homes-f…

These are the three most accessible and popular beaches in and around Charleston SC.
FOLLY BEACH!!!

You probably are looking to live in James Island or West Ashley,. 29414

But the beach for the younger crowd is def Folly Beach.. let me know if you need any help.

I'm always there doing the VB tournaments or at Tides Surf Club.
Hi! Looking for info re: a move from New England (97 inches of snow in 3 weeks!) to S Carolina. Looking for a great home in a fantastic community with excellent schools near the beach which won't break the bank! Hesitant on all fronts, but think it may be a good time! Thanks in advance!!!
Hi 96 Marquette.. Why do I get the feeling you went to school there? Ha.. There is only really one answer for this question, Mount Pleasant. http://jamesschiller.com/homes-for-sale/mount-pleasant-sc/
Flag Wed Apr 29, 2015
We are from ne also and doing the same thing. What have you found out so far?
Flag Sun Mar 29, 2015
if you go to CharlestonConnection.net, click on the lifestyle search you'll figure out which homes are for sale based on locations closest to the beach. Check it out, very insightful.
Here is a list: Sullivans Island, Isle of Palms, Wild Dunes, Folly Beach, Deweese Island, Kiawah, Seabrook, Edisto Island. All areas are very different. Let me know if you want further details about each area.
Hi Sandra,
If you are looking to be close to the beach within 5 minutes of walking on the sand, you can choose Folly Beach, living on James Island. Kiawah Island is one the outer Island and is far more expensive and exclusive. Isle of Palms, and Sullivans Island are also expensive. Do you want to be within driving distance, or living very close to the beach. We can chat about your needs and locate you to that part of Charleston that you will enjoy the most. We would love to hear from you. There is something for everyone in Charleston. Beautiful city and fabulous life with many great things to do. Happy house hunting!
id like you to send me propertys to look at in a 5 minute commute to the beach, folly beach sounds right 3 bed 2/bath /fireplace even a forclosure would be great up too 189.000 200.000 max. sandysizemore@bellsouth.net im coming around christmas to visit looking for a home also but i half to be near the water a must thanks,sandy
Flag Fri Sep 7, 2012
th ank you so much im coming that way aroung the christmas hollidays visiting family and looking to buy a home maby even a forclosure . please contact me with property in my price range and 4 mins to the beach or walking distance i can only afford up to 2200.000 im selling my home i love charleston and ive had fond memorys of potentally living thare , so maby things might just fall into place with your help, thanks again, sandy looking for 3 bed 2 bath,/ fireplace. water view or close proxcimity/,
Flag Fri Sep 7, 2012
Sandy
To answer your question. Mt. Pleasant, Is near isle of palms, Sullivans island.
James island is near Folly Beach.
Have a great weekend.
Sandra Barnhill
Sandy,

Close is a relative term... but basically Dave is right. There are three or four public beaches here: Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach, and Kiawah (Beachwalker County Park). Farther south, there is Edisto Island, but it is about an hour from the city. Seabrook Island is private.

Areas I consider close to the beach: Johns Island is close to Kiawah Island and Folly Beach. James Island and West Ashley are close to Folly Beach. Peninsula Charleston is close to either Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms. Mount Pleasant is the mainland just next to Sullivan Island and Isle of Palms.

Areas not close to any beach are Summerville, North Charleston, Hanahan, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner.

I hope this helps, Dan
Your price range is going to dictate how close you can get to a beach. Isle of Palms- $350k-5 million
Mt. Pleasant- $250K- up. Summerville(30 min) average-$150k
Kiawah and Seabrook Islands are both barrier islands so VERY close to the beach. They are the beach. HIgher price points since Kiawah is a Resort Island where the recent PGA Golf Championship was played in Mid-August. Seabrook Island, gated also, is totally private with wonderful amenities.

Folly Beach has homes right on the ocean, as well. On the other side of Charleston, you will find Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island. Mixed prices there although Sullivans is usualy more high-end. Your choices could depend on full time resident vs. family vacaiton home., gated or not community, price point, condo vs home. Contact me if you would like some assistance.
I am a lifelong resident of Folly Beach. James Island is the next door neighbor to Folly and just a few minutes from downtown Charleston. There are many great areas with single family homes and condos / townhomes. Give me a shout if we can discuss more options. aweathers@carolinaone.com
Mount Pleasant is about 5 minutes to the beach depending on where you live. The two beaches close to Mount Pleasant are Isle Of Palms and Sullivan's Island. Folly Beach is the other area close to the Beach. Depending on your price range there are many options in the Charleston area.