Home Buying in Torrance>Question Details

Voices Member,  in

what are the schools like in torrance?

Asked by Voices Member, Sun Dec 9, 2012

Answers

7
There seems to be a bias towards the south and west areas of Torrance. Please note there are perfectly fine (and highly rated schools) in the northern and central areas as well. As Katherine mentioned, check out the website Great Schools for more information. Be cognizant (as Tony mentioned) of the areas east of Western Ave that contain a Torrance post office address (usually 90502, but there are others), but do not utilize Torrance's city services (e.g. police & fire departments, water/sanitation, schools, etc.). Depending on where the address is, it could be considered Gardena, Harbor City, Lomita, Harbor Gateway, etc...all of which use City of Los Angeles' services. The only zips that are actually "Torrance" are 90501 (east), 90503 (central/west), 90504 (north) and 90505 (south)

My personal feeling is residential real estate (specifically single family homes) is unjustly inflated in price once you head west of Hawthorne Blvd, which I like to call the incorrectly perceived educational "divide". You're paying a premium to live in a house/neighborhood for elementary/middle/high schools that are rated a 9 (west of Hawthorne) versus an 8 (east of Hawthorne). Not really worth the extra expense for that extra point, IMHO. As it is, it's tough enough to find affordable housing in the South Bay for a typical family!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
Be careful here. If you are not familiar with the area, Torrance PO confuses many people. Torrance PO has a Torrance mailing address, yet it is LA proper, and part of LA unified school district.
Torrance schools are excellent
the main reason my daughter
Daughter moved to S.Torrance
Great city as wll..Barbara
P.S. We like south hi
I recently helped a friend enroll a student into West Torrance HS. She did her research and asked some friends and decided West was the best choice for her child.

I suggest you check out the schools. You can ask for a tour and then do your reasearch.

I agree about the Torrance Unified School District versus LAUSD. There is a big difference.

I would be happy to help you find a home that puts you in the neighborhood that you want.

Michael Magaw
Kevin,

I agree with both Bruce and Katherine, which is why I chose to live in Torrance.

However, there are areas in East Torrance which have a Torrance address but are actually part of the City of Los Angeles and school kids attend LA Unified School District. They also do not have Torrance City Fire and Police but rather LA County Sheriff and Fire Departments.

If you need any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Tony Warfield
Associate Broker
3 Leaf Realty
310-634-9342
Hi Kevin,
Torrance has a great track record in academics. Some of the best schools within our state are in Torrance. There are other great reasons to consider living in Torrance though. An economy that is doing better than other South Bay cities combined with the best Police and Fire departments make it a great place to plant your roots and raise your family.
Feel free to contact me for help with your real estate needs at my website below.
Bruce
DRE:01004069
Torrance schools have an excellent reputation. South and West Torrance tend to have the highest scores. For specific schools, check out GreatSchools.com as a guide.
katherine
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012