Home Buying in Cocoa Beach>Question Details

John Duffey, Home Buyer in Ellenton, FL

what are the rules regarding remodling of condo in the satellite beach area beyond the HOA rules and regulations?

Asked by John Duffey, Ellenton, FL Wed Oct 20, 2010

Answers

6
Hi John,

99 percent of condos in Florida do not have HOAs they have Condominimum Associations which are different than HOAs, the documents governing the assn. are quite large compared to HOAs. Other than that Tom's answer below would also be my recommendation.

Web Reference: http://www.TheBeachLady.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
I live in close proximity to Satellite Beach and I've been a lifelong resident of the beachside area since 1958. I can refer you to Mark D. Derman, Derman Homes to answer any questions you may have. Mark is extremely qualified having remodeled for my clients their purchases of condos (site un seen), and houses alike. He was builder of the Year in 2009 in Brevard County. Derman Homes is one of the most recognized quality remodeling names by building inspectors, condo associations, suppliers and end-users alike.

Feel free to contact me as to your questions. Let me see if I can assist you with specifics that you have. Mr. Mark Derman also offers something very unique to Satellite Beach and other consumers close by: CONSULTING services allowing you to manage the project yourself no matter how large or small.

Hope this was helpful. contact me at 321-863-7350 Surfside Properties and Management
I look forward to talking with you. Ask for Debi and say you found me on Trulia.
I agree with most of what everyone below said however, it is important to keep in mind structural integrity in regards to renovations. You have to understand that similarly to remodeling in a home, there are load bearing walls and other structures that need to be considered. This, among other reasons is why consulting building codes and the like is extremely important.
John,

Obviously, any work that you do to the unit must be within in the guidelines set forth in your condominium documents. For work inside the unit you will need to speak with the local permitting authorities to see what work can, and cannot, be done without a permit.

I hope this information is helpful but if I can be of further assistance in any way, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
You would need to touch base with the city regarding inspections of contracted work that is done. It would also be a great idea to call the local homebuilders and or remodelers association in your area. They are going to be able to tell you about more precise things that may need to be done outside of your HOA.
I would suggest to contact the building and zoning department for the rules.