Me, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

what are the pros and cons of working with husband and wife?

Asked by Me, San Francisco, CA Thu Nov 21, 2013

one is a real estate agent. the other is the loan officer. both would help us in our home purchase. we are concerned that this "team" might not be a good idea.

Answers

8
Assess how much "control" you like to exert on anything to which you apply yourself. If the answer starts leaning towards "a lot," and you're not already completely comfortable with the personalities of both on the team, then I would avoid this situation. I'm not saying this because I have a vested interested in saying it, I'm telling you because once you start down that road it will be very hard to turn back. It will essentially be very difficult to like/dislike one without having the other be affected.

Everybody is different as a client, and at the end of the day, the professionals you employ must meet your standards and yours alone.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
415-367-5959
VERY TRUE! that is exactly what we are running into. one of them is great, the other is a so so and now we are concerned about letting go of one, and how the other one is going to react. this was a big mistake!
Flag Fri Nov 22, 2013
I also work with my husband, but both of us are realtors. The pro - they work together well. The rest is up to you to decide - are you comfortable working with them? Will you hire one of them without the other? How did you meet this couple? Etc., etc., etc.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
First of all, it you don't feel it's a good idea....don't do it. Life's experiences have taught me to trust my instinct.

With both a Realtor and loan officer...you need to feel comfortable, safe, and trusting. How did you get to these folks? Were you interested int he real estate agent or loan officer? ...

If I were you, I'd probably interview 2 or 2 other professionals of each profession...then make my decision...

Best of luck.
i met the loan agent first, then was recommended the agent by the loan officer.
Flag Fri Nov 22, 2013
My wife and I have been a business team for as long as we've been husband and wife and parents. She's the best partner I've had in the last 40 years.
If both are professional, ethical and honest the combination may work out just fine. Just verify you are being steered in the best direction with you in mind. Check references and maybe negotiate on costs associated with the transaction.
I can see it working out well. You can always compare the rates that you get from the loan officer. My guess is that they would be able to justify getting you a better deal because the income from both pieces of the purchase transaction will be going to their family budget.

I've seen more than one deal that would have died on the vine had the agent or the loan officer not been willing to either chip in or cut fees to get the deal done. It's easier to say yes to that when you know that there's a consolation prize that'll show up on your spouse's end as long as the deal closes.
If they are really good at what they do, the team idea approach will be awesome. In truth, real estate is a team sport. One of the reasons our buyers love us is because we bring all the ancillary pros necessary to take care of all parts of the deal: lender, appraisers, inspectors, contractors, title officers, and all of them are excellent so the deals are always seamless.

Try to get some referrals and see how their former clients speak about them.
In terms of the real estate agent you just want to look at the performance and see if it is worth their fees. And with the loan officer you want to shop around to at least 3 people to find the best rate and closing costs.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com